Bent nail 2.0 - Fermentation edition

well this sucks............my dehumidifier based glycol chiller just died :(

guess this vienna lager is not going to be turning out.

That Sux!

Hope you find a suitable replacement soon.

Looks like you've got another project now. :)

That Sux!

Hope you find a suitable replacement soon.

Looks like you've got another project now. :)
got a replacement on the way.

I tried the dehumidifier again this morning and it is working again. the compressor keeps overheating. so hopefully I can keep it going for a week.

Sorry, cannot 'like' this. But glad to hear it is limping but not yet dead. Maybe a cooling fan?

Sorry, cannot 'like' this. But glad to hear it is limping but not yet dead. Maybe a cooling fan?
ya, I found that the condenser fan shroud was squished and stopped the fan. its working now, but didnt do the compressor any favors I am sure. been wanting an excuse to get a more commercial glycol chiller. :confused::cool:

ya, I found that the condenser fan shroud was squished and stopped the fan. its working now, but didnt do the compressor any favors I am sure. been wanting an excuse to get a more commercial glycol chiller. :confused::cool:
So not going the diy route again?

Hey if you listen to the brulosophy podcast one of the latest has a bloke who built a walk in cold room :rolleyes: you know incase you get inspiration?

So not going the diy route again?

Hey if you listen to the brulosophy podcast one of the latest has a bloke who built a walk in cold room :rolleyes: you know incase you get inspiration?
nope, hoping this will be a little cleaner looking and more reliable, lol. this thing has worked well beyond my expectations. but I think it has seen the end, lol

think that is above my paygrade, lol. plus I am pretty sure my wife would divorce me.

So what do I do once i get an experience bit of kit? Tear it apart, of course!

Gonna bypass the stock temp controller and not gonna use the inbiult pumps.

20230415_132646.jpg
20230415_132623.jpg
20230415_132602.jpg

Awesome that looks like a lot of fun right there :).

The good old STC aye :p.

So why not the pumps?

Well I guess you'll have backups if yours go caput.

ya they have an old school stc1000 in °C only ,lol. I already have my controller designed to control the glycol temp and I can remotely change the temp on it. plus the controller for the glycol temp is on the back of the unit. not terribly convenient.

the pumps are those $18 solar pumps. just dont have enough pressure to push through the solenoids I use very effectively. they produce about 7 PSI, the ones I use are diaphragm pumps that produce 35 PSI. plus I have it all plumbed already, lol. I really just needed the chiller, but no one sells a "homebrew" grade of chiller that doesnt have controllers and pumps biult in.

Due to limitations in how the software executes instructions. Timing the pump delay in mS was not very accurate. So added these external timers. This allows the glycol pumps to remain off until 7% pwm (or any amount). So small corrections by the pid will be ignored so the pump is not constantly on and off.

20230502_195739.jpg

Got the new glycol chiller installed.

Bypassed the internal temp control and internal pumps . Also added a level switch(from the old setup) so that evaporation won't go undetected.

20230506_152328.jpg
20230506_152338.jpg

20230506_160047.jpg

Last edited:
Got the new glycol chiller installed.

Bypassed the internal temp control and internal pumps . Also added a level switch(from the old setup) so that evaporation won't go undetected.

View attachment 25311 View attachment 25312
If ever my freezer glycol system dies I'll be going this route either buying one off kegland or DIY like you did.

I can hide it all in behind where my freezer lived and use the same control pannel.

Love your work Minbari your an inspiration you can do attitude is admirable :).

If ever my freezer glycol system dies I'll be going this route either buying one off kegland or DIY like you did.

I can hide it all in behind where my freezer lived and use the same control pannel.

Love your work Minbari your an inspiration you can do attitude is admirable :).
thank you, that is high praise coming from a fellow innovator :D

Very nice. Jealous!
It that a piece of Romex entering a box without a clamp? :eek:
lol ya.. not everything is up to code. lol I have meant to replace that with something else. just havent yet.

it only goes 8" and powers a 40amp PS

lol ya.. not everything is up to code. lol I have meant to replace that with something else. just havent yet.

it only goes 8" and powers a 40amp PS
Just busting your chops. We both know it'll get finished right someday. I did notice someone routed the wire so it doesn't touch any metal edges...

Just busting your chops. We both know it'll get finished right someday. I did notice someone routed the wire so it doesn't touch any metal edges...
ya, and it is fused, should bad things happen

Back