Are kegerators worth the $500?

Yeah, I'm gonna join team not worth it

Even if you don't wanna bother with shanks and drilling holes and taps, you can just take an old fridge, put corny kegs in it and have picnic(bronco) taps on your beer line and you're sweet.

FYI I actually prefer having the taps and shanks because it's easier on my back, but that being said, it's been 2 years and I haven't changed anything! lol

Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution.

I think its a convince thing, are convenience stores worth the cost? not really but we use them any way, if you want a fast rolling easy to use fringe by the couch than yes, if walking to the garage or deck is ok than buy a $150 old fridge and convert it, it holds more beer too;)

yeah, bottom line, it's about preference. Picnic taps work fine as long as you clean them and your lines. I have picnic taps that are well over 2 years old.

With the tapping shanks you have an easier mess to clean up and save your back a bit.

I promise, any day now, I'll get around to putting taps on my fridge. I promise!

I’ve had a 4 Corny kegerator for a year now. It’s in the kitchen and out of the way. I love the convenience. In the next year or two I’ll be building a keezer for my basement. Primarily for lagering but there will be beer on tap in it as well. I’m in the go for both camp! Lol. If you don’t care about having it in your kitchen or something and you have room somewhere else in the house, keezer might win by a thin margin for me.

I’ve had a 4 Corny kegerator for a year now. It’s in the kitchen and out of the way. I love the convenience. In the next year or two I’ll be building a keezer for my basement. Primarily for lagering but there will be beer on tap in it as well. I’m in the go for both camp! Lol. If you don’t care about having it in your kitchen or something and you have room somewhere else in the house, keezer might win by a thin margin for me.
In the kitchen is dangerous i like having to go outside to get my beer regulates the drinking more

In the kitchen is dangerous i like having to go outside to get my beer regulates the drinking more
no kidding, mine is right next to the workshop. working down there and 4 beers later, lol.

This may be a worthy discussion, but just FYI, the OP's only message on the forum was his original post in this thread, and they have not been on the forum for almost 2 years.

So I'm looking into buying a kegerator amazon for a 1/6 keg. Was wondering if it's worth the money or should I convert a small fridge?
AND
Are kegerators worth the $500?
if you want something turn-key, yes.

I got this one. it is a bare setup, so you can make your own tower and customize it to your liking. it holds (3) 5 gal cornies perfectly. had it a couple years and no issues.

EDIT: I just noticed this is an old post.................I still think they are worth it :D

How about 3 years:)
Screenshot_20230715-214135_Chrome.jpg

Likewise! I have a session Saison in mine, as soon as it comes out, the great transfer begins....
Session Saison, yumm. I was just at one of the breweries that had a Grisette. I love those. My wife got pissy because they only had one dark beer( but a damn good one). I took her there anyway just to get my fix.
Shit, just realized it was an old post, but still digging light Belgian stuff.

I think you can find a used one for a much cheaper price. I bought one in a good condition and it has been working for almost 3 years.

Yeah I ended up buying a second-hand one too. I got it super cheap though ($250NZ so around $180US). It was cheaper than most secondhand fridges in my area so total no-brainer especially with temp control already built in.

If you enjoy building thing DIY would be great but if not I'd see if you can pick one up second hand.

I bought a cheapo chest freezer from Home Depot and did the rest myself. All-in it probably was in the neighborhood of $500 or so, but I also have five kegs on tap now.
uvBkf7a
View attachment 11200
I did exactly the same only I put two double tap towers on the top, one tower has stout spouts on BG, the other tower for everything else. Hold 5 corny kegs but I keep bottles on top of the compressor shelf inside. and the gas sits where keg #5 should go. I like your setup, wasn't sure if I could go through the side and miss the evaporator coil, mine freezes condensate the entire perimeter of the top just below the lid.

Back