Are kegerators worth the $500?

latham4815210

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking into buying a kegerator amazon for a 1/6 keg. Was wondering if it's worth the money or should I convert a small fridge?
AND

I used an altered dorm fridge (cut out some of the plastic molding on the sides) and used double tower for 2-corny kegerator that I used for years. Total cost maybe $200. I bought a used half-barrel kegerator for a little over $100 bucks on CL and changed out the tower for a 3-banger (shorty on the hump). Total cost maybe $250. I've built a 4-tap collar for a chest freezer that would hold 5 kegs. Total cost probably $350. All good options but anything with a small compressor will eventually crap out. Even higher-priced stuff is MIC and sort of disposable.

Good used fridge $150, couple of shanks, drip tray, and taps, bingo!
Don't think this cost $500, and it is expandable.
IMG_20190101_1241343.jpg

That's not a horrible price although I've seen cheaper at Home Depot with a co2 included. Are they worth it is up to you really. I do know my buddy got one at Home Depot and while it was a decent price to at least have beer on tap, he almost immediately had to replace the tap to get a good pour. For the longest time I served beer out of my fridge with picnic taps. It was cheap and I could stuff four kegs in there. Not everyone has the means or room though for large beer serving footprints.

Love the design above that looks slick.
Echoing thoughts above if you want hastle free you pay the big bucks up front.
If you want to save on the coin you do the DIY.
I don't think I'm ahead on my keezer build I got a bit carried away for a year or more building it:D!

Was like a mini house build project you know like the ones on grand designs where the host meets the couple midway through the build when their stressed and not sure how they are going to come up with the extra funds to finish the build...

Space in your home and your ability to build should be in your decision. I went with the kegerator before I had all of the brewersfriend knowledge. It fits in our dining room and my wife doesn't mind it there. I mentioned Keezer for more taps and kegs to my wife and if looks could kill I would not be writing this note. $500 is not a drop in the bucket but it works for me.....now;)

So I'm looking into buying a kegerator amazon for a 1/6 keg. Was wondering if it's worth the money or should I convert a small fridge?
AND
No.
Build a Keezer! Starting with ONE tap and a used chest freezer plus a temp controller and a co2 tank will be WAY less than $500 - Trust me I know. Bought a 450 dollar keggerator from amazon and eventually built a keezer anyway... 5 beers versus 1 and the cost was about the same.

One thing to consider about those bar sized fridges is that they are made super cheap, they typically barely outlive the warranty, if they last for years, you got lucky

For something that is turnkey, small and easy to setup. I think they are great. The one I have holds (3) 5gal cornies.

I think you can find a used one for a much cheaper price. I bought one in a good condition and it has been working for almost 3 years.

Depends how good you are with building things. I'm terrible so it was worth it to buy one ready to go. But if you are good at that sort of thing you can build one with a used fridge a lot cheaper.

Yeah, I'm gonna join team not worth it

Even if you don't wanna bother with shanks and drilling holes and taps, you can just take an old fridge, put corny kegs in it and have picnic(bronco) taps on your beer line and you're sweet.

FYI I actually prefer having the taps and shanks because it's easier on my back, but that being said, it's been 2 years and I haven't changed anything! lol

Even if you don't wanna bother with shanks and drilling holes and taps, you can just take an old fridge, put corny kegs in it and have picnic(bronco) taps on your beer line and you're sweet.
Exactly how I do it. I can fit 5 kegs in that fridge.

AND
If you watch CL you can find them used for a lot less. I bought mine in 2015 for $250. It's a Sanyo and holds 4 Corny Kegs or a full Keg. It was made in Mexico...not China. It was new in 2006 and still going strong. If it (when) it craps out, I'll get it fixed.

I don’t think it’s worth it for a single tap setup. I would look for one on the used market and do some upgrades. I was given an old summit free. 10 years later it’s still running with 4 sixers inside and a 3 tap tower.

Back