All grain White IPA

Dirty Dingo Brewing CO.

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I have a build I like for this type of an IPA, but since there isn't a TON of them out there, I was wondering what the community had in mind for this type of build?

Include Hop profile too if you'd like :)

Isn't it just an IPA with some wheat or wheat malt? If so, 70% barley, 30% wheat sounds like a good solution.

Brew it like a Witbier with more hops and higher ABV, Wheat/Barley of 50% plus is common. Consider hops that are less tropical than the current fashion in IPAs. Floral and citrus notes are a good match for the yeast flavor. Hops like Crystal, Sterling, Sorachi Ace, Lemon Drop, Mandarina and stand-bys like Amarillo and Cascade are probably good choices.

I like these and have brewed a few. I see them as existing at various points on a line between a West Coast IPA with some wheat and Belgian yeast and Witbier with more hops.

Personally I don't get enough Witbier so I tend to make them like JA describes, but I can see it as equally valid to start with the West Coast IPA and make it more Belgian, as Nosy described.

For hops, Nelson Sauvin with a light touch (by modern standards) makes a nice contribution. Nelson really changes it's character when you increase the hopping rate. I like the highly hopped character, but it blows away the grain and yeast contributions in a white IPA.

With the extra body from the wheat and maybe oats, it can make a great summer quaffer with an ABV around 5%.

Really appreciate the responses guys, my build is as follows;

50% Pilzen, which probably should be Carapils or something
46% Wheat
4% Dextrose for that ABV I need

Amount Variety Cost Type AA Use Time IBU Bill %
30 g Magnum Pellet 15 Boil at 100 °C 60 min 32.49 17.1%
25 g Riwaka Pellet 5.5 Boil at 100 °C 20 min 6.01 14.3%
25 g Riwaka Pellet 5.5 Boil 10 min 3.6 14.3%
25 g Riwaka Pellet 5.5 Boil at 100 °C 5 min 1.98 14.3%
20 g Magnum Pellet 15 Boil at 100 °C 1 min 0.93 11.4%
50 g Azacca

Good point about the body, I probably want to chill the Hop profile a bit

I'm absolutely obsessed with hops, and don't make anything less than 60 IBU, with exception to this, which is 45 IBU

Also, I love the idea about changing to a Belgium Yeast, but I no idea about any yeasts besides Safale 05 and 04

The hops are probably going to overwhelm the yeast a bit there, so you may not get that much. Lallemand have a dry Wit yeast that I haven't tried yet. Or you could try Safale S04. Not quite Belgian, but closer to the Belgian yeasts than US05.

Both White IPA and Belgian IPA are going to get a lot of their flavor from the Belgian yeast. Without it you're just brewing an IPA. Mangrove Jack M21 is a good choice and I've done this style with Fermentis T-58. Neither of those yeasts will have the extreme phenolics of the Abbey yeast strains and may play along with your hops better. That hop seems to be a strong passion fruit which might not go well with a lot of phenolic clove flavor, so keep the fermentation temperature high and get more fruit than spice from the yeast. In order to do that, I'd pitch 68F, and hold for a day or two and let it rise to 72-74F until it fully attenuates.
If you really want a big, hoppy IPA, check out the difference between White IPA and Belgian IPA as described in the BJCP Style Guidelines.

Mangrove Jack M21 is the one my supplier has, good to know, and yeah I'll definitely check out the profile differences. Thanks JA!

Reactions: J A

Back