Aerate and pitch? Or pitch and aerate?

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have only just brewed my eleventh batch, so my learning curve is pretty steep at this point.

I have always pitched my dry yeast, then shook the daylights out of it

In the brew steps it says to aerate the wort then pitch.

Does it matter?
I have typically had good fermentations to date

I have only just brewed my eleventh batch, so my learning curve is pretty steep at this point.

Does it matter?
I'm in my first brew, but I do know that aeration is easily attainable. So, the simple splashing into the carboy should be enough to oxygenate the wort.
Like I said, I could be wrong, I'm interested in hearing from the vets on this one.

I can't say for sure either way, but I aerate before pitching.
Shaking the carboy after pitching could leave some yeast along the fermenter top and walls, which wouldnt be in the wort. Probably not enough to be anywhere close to underpitching though

I don't think it matters either way. Just as long as it gets aerated. I always do it before pitching but that's just how I do it.

If you're aerating, I would pitch then aerate. It mixes in the yeast. If using oxygen, oxygenate then pitch, pure O2 is poisonous to yeast.

If your shaking the carboy for aeration, I'd do both. Get it really going when there's no yeast in it to cling to the sides of the carboy. Then pitch (liquid or rehydrated dry yeast) and swirl it aggressively to distribute it.
I use a small O2 bottle and aeration stone so I do that before I pitch. No need to leave my stone full of yeast to contaminate it. After it's aerated, I pitch and swirl. There are instances where I'm pitching onto a cake in a fermenter I just emptied and then I'll aerate after pitch since it's already all in there but I don't necessarily prefer that.

Thanks guys.
There is probably enough oxygen in the wort from running it into the fermenter.
The reason I starting doing the shake after pitching dry yeast is because I was seeing the yeast sitting on the foam. It seemed like quite a bit.
Cheers,
Craigerr

I've done both, by themself and together. Dry and liquid. Haven't noticed a difference. Maybe fermentation kicks off little bit faster when aerating after pitching, but that'll probably be related to something else like the strain of yeast.

The reason I starting doing the shake after pitching dry yeast is because I was seeing the yeast sitting on the foam.
Friends don't let friends pitch dry yeast! :p
It's super easy to re-hydrate it and it starts stronger and quicker. It's just a much healthier pitch when it's re-hydrated. Do it!!

It's super easy to re-hydrate it and it starts stronger and quicker. It's just a much healthier pitch when it's re-hydrated. Do it!!
Better watch out @J A , you're gonna get some blowback on that one....:rolleyes:

Reactions: J A

Blowback starting...

Fermentis have been under pressure from a lot of commercial brewers to support pitching without rehydration. They've released studies to prove that it's now as effective to pitch dry as rehydrated. Take that with as many grains of salt as you need.

Their current instructions are to rack off about 20-30% of the wort warm (think it was around 30C), then add the rest of the wort on top when it's hit your 'traditional' pitching temp.

edit: From the last dry yeast I used - "Alternatively, pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20°C (68°F). Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes, then mix the wort using aeration or by wort addition."

https://fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/SafAle-BE-134_Rev2.pdf

I just pitched dry and aerated and it was a monster, gravity dropping within 12 hours and finished at 0.998 about 4 days later. (Yep, one data point means nothing and there's nothing from those observations that answers the questions about viability and rehydration death).

edit 2: this one has graphs, it must be science - http://sea-brew.com/fermenting-with-active-dry-yeast-just-became-even-easier/

Last edited:
Fermentis have been under pressure from a lot of commercial brewers to support pitching without rehydration. They're released studies to prove that it's now as effective to pitch dry as rehydrated. Take that with as many grains of salt as you need.
Caving in to pressure from Big Brewing! :D :D :D

Does it matter?

I usually aerate then pitch, but I have done it both ways and see no difference. However, if you are pitching 1st generation dry yeast, then there is no need to aerate.

Back