Adding hops before fermentation

Discussion in 'Beginners Brewing Forum' started by IPA4Life, Mar 4, 2020.

1. IPA4Life

IPA4Life New Member

Hello,
    I've tried to brew an IPA recipe and kinda messed up with some of the hops, instead of doing "flame out" and adding them during cooldown, I only added the hops when the temperature was ready for yeast, just few minutes before pouring the yeast into the container. I think the crucial piece of information is that all the hops were added without a bag (including the hops added during boil).

This happened about a week ago, and Immediately I thought it would become a problem when fermentation is over.. should I filter the hops when fermentation is done? should I do it now? what's the effect of adding the hops at that stage without a a bag?

Thanks for your help.

2. Zambezi Special

Zambezi Special Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about not having the hops in bags.
    I've done the same (I'm also just a beginner) and you get quite a bit of sediment, but it will all settle out.
    I did all in the same vessel, and all fine.
    Can't really help with the timing effect, but I would think it is almost like a dry hop?
    Don't worry too much, it will come right. Might just be a tad less bitter than you expected

BarbarianBrewer and Trialben like this.
  3. The Brew Mentor

The Brew Mentor Well-Known Member

Everything will be fine.
    Being a week in, you should see a significant reduction in the air lock activity.
    At this point, make sure your fermenter is about 70° for another week.
    You don't need to transfer.
    After the 2nd week, check your gravity and if you're in your target range, cool the fermenter down for a few days.
    I usually just remove the airlock and cover the vent hole with a towel wet with star san. This will prevent suck back during the cool down.
    The colder the better.
    This will settle and compact the hops a bit so you can then transfer and proceed with bottling.
    Good Luck,
    Brian

4. Frankenbrewer

Frankenbrewer Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it. I do both bag, and no bag depending upon how lazy I am or time I have. I have also used a hop bag that was soaked in Star San to run my finished product into the keg.

5. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    It'll be fine I never use a hop bag just dump and run baby:). A cold crash arpund freezing for a day or two will help settle out any stubborn hop materials before transferring to serving vessel.

6. Hamner Brewhouse

Hamner Brewhouse Active Member

Bittering likely lower than the recipe prediction. The only time I use a bag with hops is if I am using leaf or hole cone hops. If you want to clear up your beer, cold crash it. I'm sure what I do is overkill. I'll transfer to Secondary to eliminate a good amount of sediment. Then cold crash at least one week.