3 noob question from a 1st time home brewer

well, i don't know if it's necessarily lost. there may be off flavors like nosy said, but who knows, you may actually like it. at any rate, i don't think it'll be completely undrinkable.

and if it is truly that bad, you can always try adding some other ingredients or spices to a bottle or two to see if you do like it. Or to see how much of a particular spice to use on a full batch the next time.

either way, you're not totally wasting your hard work and beer

I agree with JC - ferment it out and see what you think. You may like it! WLP004 - Irish Stout yeast - has an upper limit of its temperature range of about 20°C, should work, might not be as "dry" as intended. If your basement gets cooler in the Winter, I'd still go for Saisons in the summer and everything else when it's cooler.

ArEiAs82 said:
Next i'll make an irish dry stout. I think it will be better at this temperatures...
Is there anything that i can do to "save" this beer?

You'll have a beer that's drinkable. They wouldn't give you a yeast that absolutely can't be used at the temperature they advise. The dry lager yeasts will make beer at up to 22C. It may have more of a fruity flavor from the yeast at that temperature, but as long as you let it age for at least a week in the primary fermenter after it's done fermenting, it will clear the flavor. Then you'll have the option of letting it age in the bottle for a while at room temperature which always makes an improvement. Lagering or aging in cold temperatures will further clean the flavor.
No need to obsess over it. You'll enjoy it when it comes time to drink it. :)

J A said:
But you will soon invest in lagering equipment. It's a slippery slope!

Jm, I'm guessing you've had a few! You chopped up the quoted post wrong! :lol: :lol: :lol:

doh! unfortunately not, still at work :(

now maybe in a few hours...

Not a problem. I'll just sue J A for plagiarism. Proof is in your post!! :D

jeffpn said:
Not a problem. I'll just sue J A for plagiarism. Proof is in your post!! :D

Now I'm confused!!! :lol:

jmcnamara said:
well, i don't know if it's necessarily lost. there may be off flavors like nosy said, but who knows, you may actually like it. at any rate, i don't think it'll be completely undrinkable.

and if it is truly that bad, you can always try adding some other ingredients or spices to a bottle or two to see if you do like it. Or to see how much of a particular spice to use on a full batch the next time.

either way, you're not totally wasting your hard work and beer

Do you think that i should do a "dry hoping" at this moment with some special hop to improve the aroma and try not to have a off flavored beer?

J A said:
ArEiAs82 said:
Next i'll make an irish dry stout. I think it will be better at this temperatures...
Is there anything that i can do to "save" this beer?

You'll have a beer that's drinkable. They wouldn't give you a yeast that absolutely can't be used at the temperature they advise. The dry lager yeasts will make beer at up to 22C. It may have more of a fruity flavor from the yeast at that temperature, but as long as you let it age for at least a week in the primary fermenter after it's done fermenting, it will clear the flavor. Then you'll have the option of letting it age in the bottle for a while at room temperature which always makes an improvement. Lagering or aging in cold temperatures will further clean the flavor.

What about if i put the 2nd fermentor bucket (were it is now) in the fridge between 2º-5º. Do you think it would be better?

Thank you guys!
Off course i'll drink it (if it becames drinkable...)
But i already learned something: In my house, Laggers should only be made in the winter werw me basement is beetween 8º-12º (perfect Lagger temperature) and not in the Summer :)

Dry hopping might be a good idea to experiment with. You could maybe dry hop half the batch and compare it with the non dry hop half.

I wouldn't go too crazy with adding too many different flavors and aromas all at once. Being able to distinctly pick out a flavor and smell will only help you when you go to create more complex beers and taste them

ArEiAs82 said:
Thank you guys!
Off course i'll drink it (if it becames drinkable...)
But i already learned something: In my house, Laggers should only be made in the winter werw me basement is beetween 8º-12º (perfect Lagger temperature) and not in the Summer :)

Don't worry about it. My local Homebrew store guys routinely use dry lager yeast (of the sort that is probably included in your kit) for fermenting at room temperatures (warm). They always make very good beer that way. You'll probably be surprised at how good it will be. ;)

J A said:
ArEiAs82 said:
Don't worry about it. My local Homebrew store guys routinely use dry lager yeast (of the sort that is probably included in your kit) for fermenting at room temperatures (warm). They always make very good beer that way. You'll probably be surprised at how good it will be. ;)
Sounds an awful like the fifth post of this thread! :p

jeffpn said:
Sounds an awful like the fifth post of this thread! :p
We've come full circle. :lol:

Not a problem. It's a homebrew forum. The second round is just as good as the first! Cheers!

...and the best way to get three opinions about how to brew is to ask two homebrewers.

Back