Yeast starter diluting wort

SwishBrewing

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey Brewers

So this may have been answered before or obvious but I searched and couldn't really find any info on the forums.

I am brewing on Saturday, May 6th, I made up a 3-litre starter ( 1.045 ) a couple of hours ago. Only my 2nd starter ever.
I am going to be pitching it into 22 litres of wort at an OG of 1.072 ( If I hit all numbers )
How do people adjust OG/ABV to take this extra liquid going in into account?
This is the recipe just in case I left out important numbers - https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/429599/for-peat-s-sake

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers

I have a feeling that most of us don't.
You can decant the starter and pour off most of the liquid if you want. But it's probably going to be such a small difference to abv it's not worth it to calculate

You can compute it exactly pretty easily but just checking the dilution calculator shows that if you were adding 3 liters of water it would drop to 1.063. Given the potential in the wort, a quick guess would be something like 1.068. I'd crash and decant it for a beer like that.

chill your starter in the fridge the night before it will solidify to the bottom then decant all but 1/2" and worm it back up on brewday

You can compute it exactly pretty easily but just checking the dilution calculator shows that if you were adding 3 liters of water it would drop to 1.063. Given the potential in the wort, a quick guess would be something like 1.068. I'd crash and decant it for a beer like that.

Sweet, from now on I will start my starters earlier, it's going to be tight for this batch but I should have time.
How long will it take to crash, a few hours in the fridge maybe some time in the freezer?

I have a feeling that most of us don't.
You can decant the starter and pour off most of the liquid if you want. But it's probably going to be such a small difference to abv it's not worth it to calculate
I'd second that. It will make a small difference - you're adding a beer with an OG of 1.030 or thereabouts to your beer at very small quantities. Think about this example: If you add the entire starter to your beer without decanting, you're adding about a pint - 500ml to those of you who measure volume rationally - to a brew of 40 pints, about 20 liters. If your initial 20 liters are at 5%, just for argument, you have 1 liter of alcohol in the brew. Add your 500 ml at 4% (assuming a 1.030 OG wort, fermenting down to 1.000). You've added 500 ml of liquid, 0.02 l alcohol. You now have 1.02. alcohol in 20.5 liters of liquid. Your new ABV is 4.975%. QED, not enough to worry about.

usually 8 hours in a fridge is enough to solidify the yeast, adding it to the freezer will work if your in a hurry

I pitch in the whole starter. I also see it as more beer for me:p. If I was going to cold crash the starter and worm it up brew day I'd pinch some wort from 10minutes into boil cool that and add this to your chilled starter to get it going again on the same medium it's going to working in;).

I did an accurate calculation based on your information...new volume and OG is 25 liters at 1.069. Your call as to whether you care about the 3 points. It will have a small effect on ABV and IBUs, but unless you're a stickler, maybe not enough to worry about.

I always run my starters warmer than my intended ferment temp by a few C° to speed things up , I decant my starters to prevent adding any off flavours or unwanted esters to my batch .

No proof but chilled starters seem to have shorter lag times as well

Reactions: J A
These days I overbuild my starters and save a few grolsch bottles in the fridge with essentially pre made , ready to pitch starters ....waiting for the day a friend cracks one open to drink thinking its beer :)
With smackpacks adding up to 25% of my batch cost it allows me to brew more often and save $$ .
A friend does double or triple batches so that's a $45 saving right there

I can make 6 test tubes full from 1 dry packet in a couple of days, that will last me a 2 or 3 months and sometimes more

I pitch in the whole starter. I also see it as more beer for me:p. If I was going to cold crash the starter and worm it up brew day I'd pinch some wort from 10minutes into boil cool that and add this to your chilled starter to get it going again on the same medium it's going to working in;).

I love this idea of taking some wort!
I want to try hit all my numbers for once something is always off, that's why I don't want to throw in the whole 3 litres.

I did an accurate calculation based on your information...new volume and OG is 25 liters at 1.069. Your call as to whether you care about the 3 points. It will have a small effect on ABV and IBUs, but unless you're a stickler, maybe not enough to worry about.

I'm trying to be a stickler but I never get it right :(

Thank you so much, everyone, so many great ideas.
I am going to crash it tonight, early start tomorrow. So many comps coming up I need everything to ferment fast and well.
I can't wait til I can successfully harvest yeast I am so far behind you guys.

@Ozarks Mountain Brew mate I just recently brewed a bohemian floor malted Pilsner with nothing but that and sazz I pitched in a 2lt starter of DME wort I'd built up my yeast in and for the life of me I can't see a problem with it in regards to flavour and overall drink ability it's great but give me a week or two and I'll flick out the comp scores. Sometimes I decant but most times its pitch her all in yeast are great little dudes they seam to clean up any off flavours that may have been produced by a warm starter medium:).

Thank you so much, everyone, so many great ideas.
I am going to crash it tonight, early start tomorrow. So many comps coming up I need everything to ferment fast and well.
I can't wait til I can successfully harvest yeast I am so far behind you guys.
Not a matter of being behind anyone , its all a learning curve and we all want different results with different equipment .
Be aware that running strains over generations requires extreme attention to sanitation and be aware they exhibit different behavior like flocculation , attenuation and lag times
My house strain of Coopers ale yeast is an absolute monster !

What he said ^^
If you're still having fun doing whatever it is you're doing, that's winning in my book. Doesn't matter who's ahead, behind, or whatever

Back