Yeast starter diluting wort

Learn what you want to learn. I did!

I've probably gone as far as I care to go in brewing. I like what I make, and I enjoy the hobby. That's good enough for me!

3 liters of starter is a really big starter. Are you brewing a difficult beer or fancy Lager? I have a nice little yeast ranching operation going and for most beers I will use 2 to 2.5L of wort and pitch my yeast on the stir plate for about 24 hours. They really get going and reproduce like crazy. Then I will take about 1L back to put in fridge for the next round and use the rest, direct pitch into the cooled wort. Seems to work really well for beers up to about 1.080. For higher or harder beers I just up the amounts.

These days I overbuild my starters and save a few grolsch bottles in the fridge with essentially pre made , ready to pitch starters ....waiting for the day a friend cracks one open to drink thinking its beer :)

Am I the only one who demands respect from my friends? Everyone knows not to go into my fridge and crack a beer. 1. I don't want people drinking things that I am saving or they would not appreciate. 2. I want to make sure they get something out of the beer they are drinking.

Am I the only one who demands respect from my friends? Everyone knows not to go into my fridge and crack a beer. 1. I don't want people drinking things that I am saving or they would not appreciate. 2. I want to make sure they get something out of the beer they are drinking.

I have multiple fridges , if its on tap or in that fridge then its good for drinking .
I treat their fridges / taps the same way .

I get the point. But I'm set up more or less like Mark. The only beer I have that could possibly be served is on tap. Pour away. I don't do starters, so the concept really doesn't apply to me. At the same time, I can't see myself going to a friend's house and pouring my own without direction.

only my family that I have showed which tap to use at the time is what I allow, the first time I watch, I have 4 full taps and I don't like people to waste my beer if they pick the wrong one and I don't allow foam overs, fill it up let it settle lol

Most of my friends are brewers or barstaff , they all know how to pour a beer !
Taps are labeled and first taste is just that , a taster so no wastage

Bottles are not labeled mostly so they ask me what it is before opening

There is usually commercial beer in fridge as well , bit of a variety and friends often bring some over and I repay the favour when I visit

Back