Which recipe should I make??

Looks like a porter would fit right in.
But, im in Ohio, so maybe not.
Pumpkin ale, Christmas ale??
ya i think a coconut porter would work nicely. still got some beachy vibes going on but darker and a little heavier then my black lager. Plus by the time i get a new beer onto the black lager line it will probably be close to November. so i will probably revisit this again and reevaluate it based on the temps outside closer to when it will go on.

A pumpkin ale would likely sell, but it really kills my soul to even consider brewing a pumpkin ale after all of the years of hate for the style. lol if i did do a pumpkin it would have to be asap and would likely be my marzen recipe with pumpkin spice on top. that would slip into the amber slot.
I gotta say, if I walked into that taproom, I wouldn't be disappointed with any of the choices.
You're going into Indian Summer weather, still warm but maybe not so hot so your Hefe and Marzen are perfect. I'd hold the line on those unless the sell-through on a new batch will take longer than a month or so.
fucking hefe keg is basically a krystalwiesse at this point which pisses me off. i swear off this style every time i brew it, but one of the owners loves the style so i get badgered into making it again. Marzen is super yummy and crystal clear.
Your Black Lager is also a good choice for the season, but if it's got to go, can you put off the Stout for 4-6 weeks and feature an American amber?
Black lager is selling steady, but i have 4 fresh halfs on that line right now so its gonna be about a month or more before that line opens up so i have plenty of time to flip flop and change recipes. a stout or a porter would slot in after the black lager. if we are being honest i will likely end up brewing atleast a double of oyster stout to distribute in oct/nov so that will end up being a thing.
Your Apricot "Kolsch" can transition into a Witbier or Tripel or maybe Golden Strong, depending on whether you need a low- or high-ABV and depending on whether you keep your Hefe going. Belgians are great for fall.
i have a good tripel recipe, but i feel like the imperial golden lager fills the same void and is much more impressive and approachable for my rednecks. BUT i will brew a double or a tripel soon and sit on them it for a few months.
If you're going dark and German anywhere along the line, I'd vote for a Doppelbock over a Dunkelweisse any day.
man i have 2 full pitches of hefe yeast that i need to use. I totally agree though and i have a really good recipe for a doppelbock. That is a tough one.

It's kinda different where you are on the coast down south
Do they even have an autumn other than in name. The cold climate heavy hitters may not go down there
I agree ambers or British ales
I'm thinking Great Britain may have a similar all year climate to your winter
lol ya its still in the 90s most days down here. it will start cooling off a bit in mid october but its not unheard of for it to be close to 90 on halloween. This is my favorite time of year to be at the beach down here. Far fewer tourists and not fucking death hot on the beach. the ocean will still be fairly warm until oct/nov.

im actually selling a ton of the prickly pear sour right now which is very surprising. A lot of beer dudes are drinking it, which is def not the normal demographic for my sours. i guess thats a positive thing? im hoping that the watermelon/basil or rosemary works out the same way. BUT it will not be pink like this round


im at a strange point sales vs stock. my cooler is brimmed up. all of my lines have 3-4 kegs on them other then my gold which has 8 and my IPA which has 2 but i have a fresh batch at 37% attenuation right now. so that will go in with a partial of the previous ipa ahead of it with a week or so to sit and get nice a crystal clear.


i have plenty of time to flesh out this plan. ill work up some recipes and post them on this thread for help!
 
man i have 2 full pitches of hefe yeast that i need to use. I totally agree though and i have a really good recipe for a doppelbock. That is a tough one.
I'd still go right back on with a good Hefe. It's a style that straddles seasons extremely well! Maybe it's just me but I just don't think the Hefe yeast flavors play as nicely with dark malt flavors. :)
 
We did a beer called Nuts about Beans.
It started of as a Bob Ross beer( a happy accident). It quickly became a best seller and would work well to bridge the gap.
Its was our traditional Kolsch style that we added peanut butter, chocolate and coffee beans to.
Looked just like a Kolsch in the glass with no color pickup from the coffee, but blew you away with the flavor.
Kind of like a white stout comes off.
 
We did a beer called Nuts about Beans.
It started of as a Bob Ross beer( a happy accident). It quickly became a best seller and would work well to bridge the gap.
Its was our traditional Kolsch style that we added peanut butter, chocolate and coffee beans to.
Looked just like a Kolsch in the glass with no color pickup from the coffee, but blew you away with the flavor.
Kind of like a white stout comes off.
lol thats crazy. maybe i can do something like that instead of the fruited kolsch. I have chocolate flavoring on hand. and could easily get coffee flavoring.

did you do pb2?
 
Its was our traditional Kolsch style that we added peanut butter, chocolate and coffee beans to.
Looked just like a Kolsch in the glass with no color pickup from the coffee, but blew you away with the flavor.
lol thats crazy. maybe i can do something like that instead of the fruited kolsch. I have chocolate flavoring on hand. and could easily get coffee flavoring.

did you do pb2?
I will never reach a place that I'm not annoyed by the over-use and mis-use of the stylistic designation of Kolsch. It becomes meaningless because it's used as a catch-all for any sort of novelty beer that happens to be fermented with a German ale yeast. :D :D
 
I will never reach a place that I'm not annoyed by the over-use and mis-use of the stylistic designation of Kolsch. It becomes meaningless because it's used as a catch-all for any sort of novelty beer that happens to be fermented with a German ale yeast. :D :D
fine i will ferment it with chico if that makes you feel better???

i call things kolsch because i use kolsch yeast and a kolsch recipe and then add the fruit. i generally shoot to have the fruit be subtle enough that it is not overpowering the beer flavor.
 
I will never reach a place that I'm not annoyed by the over-use and mis-use of the stylistic designation of Kolsch. It becomes meaningless because it's used as a catch-all for any sort of novelty beer that happens to be fermented with a German ale yeast. :D :D
The base beer is indeed a Kolsch (style, because we're not in Cologne).
I brewed it with Weyermann Cologne malt, German Hallertau, and Kolsch Yeast. Truly one of my favorite all time beers!
But...... in todays world, there aren't any rules.
Is it really any different than a Raspberry Porter or any beer with adjunct?
 
lol thats crazy. maybe i can do something like that instead of the fruited kolsch. I have chocolate flavoring on hand. and could easily get coffee flavoring.

did you do pb2?
There're some reviews and pictures on untapped if you want to take a look at it.
 
Last edited:
I will never reach a place that I'm not annoyed by the over-use and mis-use of the stylistic designation of Kolsch. It becomes meaningless because it's used as a catch-all for any sort of novelty beer that happens to be fermented with a German ale yeast. :D :D
I agree
It's not a Kolsch
Call it what it is
A golden ale with flavoring
Most of the flavored beers have run their course up here
I don't see as many around
I'm seeing a lot of traditional beers styles and of course the IPAs but even those may be slowing
Pale lagers or ales with some nice aroma hops always sell
 
  • Like
Reactions: J A
I agree
It's not a Kolsch
Call it what it is
A golden ale with flavoring
Basic Blonde with adjunct flavor.
The base beer is indeed a Kolsch (style, because we're not in Cologne).
I brewed it with Weyermann Cologne malt, German Hallertau, and Kolsch Yeast. Truly one of my favorite all time beers!
And that's where the resemblance ends. :D :D Once you've added completely incongruous flavors, it has ceased to be a Kolsch (style) in anything but technicality. :) It may be an enjoyable beer for someone but not for me.
 
Basic Blonde with adjunct flavor.

And that's where the resemblance ends. :D :D Once you've added completely incongruous flavors, it has ceased to be a Kolsch (style) in anything but technicality. :) It may be an enjoyable beer for someone but not for me.
@J A !!!

Shame on you. We don't shade blondes for adjunct flavors or any other augmentation!
Wait... Are we talking about beer here?
;)
 
"fucking hefe keg is basically a krystalwiesse at this point which pisses me off. i swear off this style every time i brew it, but one of the owners loves the style so i get badgered into making it again. Marzen is super yummy and crystal clear."
First off there is nothing wrong with a Krystalwesse
Secondly a heffe is cloudy when it's fresh
I can get 3 or 5 weeks before it starts to drop
That's normal
Easy enough to shake the keg if that's your thing
Mine still tastes great after the yeast drops and it's still a good brew
Change the name of you like move it to a different pull
Im drinking a (mine) Dunkels Weisse and really digging it
But we are brewers so brewing for your clients is a whole different thing
Brew what sells
There is a brewery here that has some nice stuff on tap but they also brew a straight up Pale Ale and just call it Beer at $1 less than all the taps
Sells pretty good
 
"fucking hefe keg is basically a krystalwiesse at this point which pisses me off. i swear off this style every time i brew it, but one of the owners loves the style so i get badgered into making it again. Marzen is super yummy and crystal clear."
First off there is nothing wrong with a Krystalwesse
Secondly a heffe is cloudy when it's fresh
I can get 3 or 5 weeks before it starts to drop
That's normal
Easy enough to shake the keg if that's your thing
Mine still tastes great after the yeast drops and it's still a good brew
Change the name of you like move it to a different pull
Im drinking a (mine) Dunkels Weisse and really digging it
But we are brewers so brewing for your clients is a whole different thing
Brew what sells
There is a brewery here that has some nice stuff on tap but they also brew a straight up Pale Ale and just call it Beer at $1 less than all the taps
Sells pretty good
i would do this if i was bigger/had extra taps to spare.
 

Back
Top