Vanilla cream ale for drinking this summer!

Foster82

Trial Member
Reaction score
What does everyone think about this cream ale based on a recipe found here. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-t ... ale-66503/
I have added Carapils for a little more body and a vanilla bean in the secondary to give it a nice twist.

I plann on brewing it next weekend once I get my Oatmeal Stout out of the fermenter and into some bottles. :D

6.25 lb - American - Pale 2-Row
2.5 lb - Flaked Corn
1 lb - Flaked Rice
0.5 lb - American - Carapils

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Crystal for 60 min
0.5 oz - Williamette for 60 min

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Vanilla Bean, Type: Spice, Use: Secondary

Pick out a nice neutral yeast and you'll be set. OP used US-05. I would ferment it cooler if you can with US-05 - in the low 60's.

Guess I forgot to mention that I do plan on using US-05, and the grain bill is for 5.5 gallons BIAB. I normally try to end with 5.5 gallons so that my final product comes out to at least 5 gallons.

Foster82 said:
Guess I forgot to mention......

You didn't have to, we knew precisely where you were going :lol:
This one seems down my alley so i think i'll give it a try this summer!

Our local brew pub does a Vanilla Porter. Can't stand it, but it seems to be popular enough (when they brew "Naked" Porter, I'm all over it....).

I make this brew quite alot. It never seems to last long. You can swap out the flaked rice for instant rice and save a few bucks. I usualy make a 10gal batch and only put vanilla in 5gal...not everyone likes vanilla. Be careful though this brew is considered a "panty dropper" ;)

Hammer1 said:
I usualy make a 10gal batch and only put vanilla in 5gal..

How much vanilla do you normally use? I was thinking for 5gals that one bean in the secondary for a week should be about right, however it is just a guess since I have never used vanilla in any of my brews.

Hammer1 said:
this brew is considered a "panty dropper" ..

Also if it turns out well I was planning on brewing some for my little sisters wedding in August. I think I will call it "Knock Your Veil Off Ale" :D

Foster82 said:
Also if it turns out well I was planning on brewing some for my little sisters wedding in August. I think I will call it "Knock Your Veil Off Ale" :D

You should call it "Knock Your vALE Off".... ehhhh... sounded better in my head. I guess some sort of emphasis on the Ale bit would be necessary, otherwise people would think you're bad at spelling. :)

I'm offering a different suggestion as well; drop off the Ale at the end of your name. The double ale-sound made it kind of weird to read, at least to me.

One vanilla bean will be plenty. The way that I do it is split the bean scrape out the seeds then cut the bean into half to one inch chuncks. Then put them in a small glass and cover them with vodka for 24hours. Then dump that into your secondary. Because I am kegging I will then cold crash for a week.

Since we are throwing names out there. Mine is called "Madigascar Cream Ale"

so does soaking in vodka help to extract the vanilla or keep the nasties out?

The vodka will extract the vanilla flavor plus it don't hurt the Abv. :D
I just checked my recipe. The yeast that I used the most is WLP 080 Cram Ale Yeast Blend and I don't use any dextrine malt but other than that. Your recipe is the same.

Well just look at my grain sheet from the store, they gave what they called American Pale Ale. Is there a huge differance between Pale Ale and just plain old pale 2-row? I did update my reciepe to match what I actually brewed.

I have been throwing around the idea of using 6 row in this recipe due to the large percentage of
adjuncts. I have read that the 6 row has more enzymatic power to help in conversion but a bit
less overall fermentables per lb. Any feedback on this?

Thanks Brewers friend! just the right Rx for cabin fever.

Conservidave said:
I have been throwing around the idea of using 6 row in this recipe due to the large percentage of
adjuncts.

I just brewed this up on Friday and had a 74% Efficiency (OG 1.050 with 5.75 gallons collected). Adjuncts are high, but the the 2 row seemed to do the job. Also my fast fermentation test shows that I should hit a FG of 1.010.

Back