steam condenser

Minbari

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
in an attempt to Lower my gallons per hour of water lost during boil, I Copied this idea. I can't take credit for the inspiration, spike brewing sells a similar product for about $270. cost me about $100 in parts to make it.

this will also allow me to eliminate my vent hood.

my first test today worked really well. think I will have to find a way to Seal the top. you will have to exuse the duct tape.
the amount of HOT water coming out was kinda Surprising.

Condenser coil. 1/8" soft copper

20220319_145900.jpg

Simple water pump to cool the condenser.

20220319_145608.jpg
20220319_145615.jpg
20220319_145620.jpg

Seems like a lot of trouble and expense to solve a simple problem...Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just top back up if you don't like your boil-off amount?

Seems like a lot of trouble and expense to solve a simple problem...Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just top back up if you don't like your boil-off amount?
Well ya, but my primary reasons are
1) i don't want to use the vent hood anymore, its a pain to setup (maybe this is just a bad? )
2) i can. :D

I like making things, its almost as much fun as the beer itself lol

It’s a must for me brewing inside the house. I built a similar one and love it

You find it useful?

yes you use more water to condense the steam but less evaporation so the recipe and evaporation rate has to change, and you need to reduce the power level if using electric. I get a better hop flavor with mine, the only issue is when something goes wrong, everything's hot

yes you use more water to condense the steam but less evaporation so the recipe and evaporation rate has to change, and you need to reduce the power level if using electric. I get a better hop flavor with mine, the only issue is when something goes wrong, everything's hot

I am sure I will have to re-learn my setup again, lol. my rebuild of the brewery is gonna have control over the heating elements, instead of just all "on"

no kidding, I have these silicon oven gloves for handling hot stuff. all that piping is ridiculously hot.

I am sure I will have to re-learn my setup again, lol. my rebuild of the brewery is gonna have control over the heating elements, instead of just all "on"

no kidding, I have these silicon oven gloves for handling hot stuff. all that piping is ridiculously hot.

one tip, do not close the lid completely, leave it loose, you need an air in to air out ratio or the vacuum will not work

one tip, do not close the lid completely, leave it loose, you need an air in to air out ratio or the vacuum will not work
makes sense. cant blow the steam through the pipes if no air can get in to replace it.

Well ya, but my primary reasons are
1) i don't want to use the vent hood anymore, its a pain to setup (maybe this is just a bad? )
2) i can. :D

I like making things, its almost as much fun as the beer itself lol
That's fair.

When I do get back to it I plan to brew in the basement, I will either have to purchase or create something like this! I see Kegland has one for the Brewzilla for a real good price, but it doesn't appear to be available in North America...

I saw a setup like that 10 years ago on a German 10 hectoliter system. It worked really well. It didn’t have a condensing coil, just a high pressure spray of cool water spraying downward in the condensing tube. This reduces water use and draws the steam out of the kettle.

I would like to try it, but DMS is a concern. But from what I hear, DMS boil off is not a problem. Nice job!

I have the spray version line you mention, I've never seen dms using mine, I have a paid for version for my 3 pot rig and a diy home made for my amvil, both work fine, the only draw back is you use a lot of water, I'm on well water now so it doesn't matter but in the city I would create a loop back pump set up to reuse the water and save that ridiculous bill

I have the spray version line you mention, I've never seen dms using mine, I have a paid for version for my 3 pot rig and a diy home made for my amvil, both work fine, the only draw back is you use a lot of water, I'm on well water now so it doesn't matter but in the city I would create a loop back pump set up to reuse the water and save that ridiculous bill

That (BrunDog) thread on the condenser build is the one I used. i find it works best with the lid sealed. i get about .5G boil off, i use about 9 gallons of coolant water through the SC nozzel during a 1h boil. No issues at all with dms. In fact, you can smell it coming out in the coolant water.

I saw a setup like that 10 years ago on a German 10 hectoliter system. It worked really well. It didn’t have a condensing coil, just a high pressure spray of cool water spraying downward in the condensing tube. This reduces water use and draws the steam out of the kettle.

I would like to try it, but DMS is a concern. But from what I hear, DMS boil off is not a problem. Nice job!
That is my understanding as well.

I initially was going to do the speay nozzle idea. But getting a fine mist on a small pump wasn't working. So I came up with the coil. It seems to work

Back