Smoking, grilling and curing foods, etc.

That's where I got the idea of using liquid smoke as a binder if I did ribs in the instant pot. They do use enough to make the average Joe believer the ribs are smoked/grilled. The char helps too. BTW, the wife talked me into doing a slab of St. Louis in the Instant Pot tomorrow for supper. I'll be finishing them under the broiler with a sweet & spicy glaze. Hoping they're a cut above boiled :eek: She did a great beef stew tonight. Amazing how quick it was to cook. Thinking I might end up liking this thing for Winter cooking. The old bones don't take to the cold like they used to.
We both work long hours so any short cut is accepted. May try a pot ourselves. Use an air fry for fries to go with burgers and such. Never was a huge crock pot fan when it came to soft runny meat. Now pan fried venison swiss steak, that's different.

I may be old fashioned, but I have a pressure cooker.
Having said that, I hardly ever use it.
(well, I do as it is the biggest pot I have at the moment, but I don't let it get to pressure ;) )
I prefer just a pot on the stove (for cooking slow (or fast), or my WSM)

We've got a pressure cooker that has sat out in the shed since we moved here almost 19 years ago. It's a behemoth and we don't even use it for canning. Like you, used only occasionally for the extra capacity. Maybe twice to boil a bunch of corn for a big BBQ. Both the wife and I do a lot of stovetop cooking and occasionally use a slow cooker for a pot of beans or stew, but my preference is outdoor cooking.
Truth be told, The main reason for the Instant Pot is, I was out of ideas for Christmas gifts for the wife, and saw an ad for it :eek:
Also, now I can get rid of the pressure cooker, the oversized slow cooker and get the bread machine we seldom use, since I started doing sourdough, off of the countertop. We don't entertain large crowds like we used to, so the bigger stuff mostly just takes up space. Time for a donation to our favorite thrift shop.

Did someone mention outdoor kitchen ;)
IMG_20210104_135223.jpg

More out of necessity, than out of choice...
I still have to make a lot of changes, but I won't change my view :)

I may be old fashioned, but I have a pressure cooker.
Having said that, I hardly ever use it.
(well, I do as it is the biggest pot I have at the moment, but I don't let it get to pressure ;) )
I prefer just a pot on the stove (for cooking slow (or fast), or my WSM)

Pressure cookers have their place in our home. We have 3, 2 big and 1 small. We use them all when canning from the garden.

I remember my Mom using a pressure cooker, the little disc with the indicator rings would slowly come out the top.
She never let it get to the third ring.
It scared the hell out of her, and therefore me!

Pressure cookers have their place in our home. We have 3, 2 big and 1 small. We use them all when canning from the garden.
Since we got our Instapot we've never looked back.

Nothing beats a good burger. I ground a brisket point this past Summer and the burgers were outstanding. We still use store bought ground beef for chili, spaghetti sauces, casseroles, etc., but grind our own for burgers. It really helps to have a loose grind for smash burgers too.

Anyone here do any sous vide cooking? I have a sous vide for heating sparge water. I have heard that steaks are amazing when done sous vide and seared. Have been doing a little research on it.
@Craigerrr : Yes, we cook almost all meats with the sous vide, then finish them on a hot grill. You can cook most anything like this, but I've not experimented with vegetables, etc. yet.

We buy Costco steaks, vacuum seal and freeze them. 1.5 hours in the sous vide at 133.5 F gets them from frozen to medium, then 2 minutes on each side on a 600F grill (little sale & pepper sprinkled on) and there's good to go. What's nice is that 1.5 hours or 5.5 hours, they come out the same - almost impossible to overcook.

Boneless chicken, same thing, but at 150 F. Pork chops, 140 F. A few degrees difference (with beef) makes a lot of difference in degree of doneness, so tread lightly. Pork and chicken shouldn't be rare, ever... Oh, and ribs! 2 hours sous vide, 2 hours of smoke, some sauce or rub, a few minutes to crisp them outsides, and wow.

You can also finish anything in a hot pan instead of the grill: The goal is some Maillard reactions, thus browning the meat. Un-browned meat is kind of gray, tastes fine but looks unappetizing.

Some season the meat before packaging & freezing; I prefer to do this after.

Oh, and sparge water at 170F is not bad either!

Just put an 11+ lb. Ham on the Traeger, with a smoke tube, both with Hickory pellets. Scored the skin and applied a light coating of Memphis Dust. Will be glazing with my Tomato/Jalapeño preserves mixed with a bit of my fermented Ripe Jalapeño hot sauce.
Hama.jpg

Attachments

• Ham.jpg
    Ham.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 68
Just put an 11+ lb. Ham on the Traeger, with a smoke tube, both with Hickory pellets. Scored the skin and applied a light coating of Memphis Dust. Will be glazing with my Tomato/Jalapeño preserves mixed with a bit of my fermented Ripe Jalapeño hot sauce.
View attachment 13634

Here's the finished product:

Ham .jpg

Back