Smoking, grilling and curing foods, etc.

20210102_071354.jpg

Cleaning out the freezer. Some beef ribs and a piece of briscuit point I got from work. They buy 4H beef at auction (kinda like FFA) and draw employee names for portions. This was the last of it. Beef is good for a change but still prefer venison. Will see how these go with a Pit Boss Briscuit Rub all day today starting at 175f. Will probably steam ribs in a stout in oven for dinner tomorrow.

Anyone here do any sous vide cooking? I have a sous vide for heating sparge water. I have heard that steaks are amazing when done sous vide and seared. Have been doing a little research on it.

View attachment 13501 Since I still had the Weber out from last night’s grilling, I decided to grill again tonight on the mesquite fire. A rack of spare ribs.

Man, you're killing me. I got the wife an Instant Pot for Christmas, so will likely be eating food out of it for the next 2 weeks. Got a freezer full of ribs, pork buts, ham, beef roasts, chicken, salmon, sausages and other goodies I'm ready to smoke or grill. Guess I should have got her a bag of charcoal, wood chips or pellets instead :D:D:D

View attachment 13482
Cleaning out the freezer. Some beef ribs and a piece of briscuit point I got from work. They buy 4H beef at auction (kinda like FFA) and draw employee names for portions. This was the last of it. Beef is good for a change but still prefer venison. Will see how these go with a Pit Boss Briscuit Rub all day today starting at 175f. Will probably steam ribs in a stout in oven for dinner tomorrow.

Sorry didn't get a follow up on this. They were on the pellet grill 11 hrs and we brewed a stout while waiting. Finished the ribs with some Pioneer Woman Whisky Peach BBQ sauce the wife found. That stuff is awesome. Saved the briscuit for tonight.

Man, you're killing me. I got the wife an Instant Pot for Christmas, so will likely be eating food out of it for the next 2 weeks. Got a freezer full of ribs, pork buts, ham, beef roasts, chicken, salmon, sausages and other goodies I'm ready to smoke or grill. Guess I should have got her a bag of charcoal, wood chips or pellets instead :D:D:D
That’s funny. The Instant Pot can do some pretty good things with a pork roast.

Man, I put our insta pot thru some abuse! You can take a frozen 3# pot roast, add some broth, onions, taters, and carrots, and be eating it in about 3 hours. Super delicious.
Cook a spiral cut ham in about a half hour to your table and perfectly moist.
They're great @BOB357 !

Man, I put our insta pot thru some abuse! You can take a frozen 3# pot roast, add some broth, onions, taters, and carrots, and be eating it in about 3 hours. Super delicious.
Cook a spiral cut ham in about a half hour to your table and perfectly moist.
They're great @BOB357 !

I don't doubt you can make great food in them, but I've got a thing for wood fired goodness and the resulting textures. The shorter cooking time is appealing, as is staying inside where it's warm this time of year. Once the new wears off for the wife, I'll be playing with it too.

I don't doubt you can make great food in them, but I've got a thing for wood fired goodness and the resulting textures. The shorter cooking time is appealing, as is staying inside where it's warm this time of year. Once the new wears off for the wife, I'll be playing with it too.
Seams to me with your smoke tube and the pot you could come up with some awesome compromises! :D

Highly recommend the air fryer attachment,my daughter is making chips right now. After slicing the potatos, mix them up in a bowl with some seasoning ing and just a wee bit of olive oil.
20210103_135703.jpg

Seams to me with your smoke tube and the pot you could come up with some awesome compromises! :D

I have smoked different meats and finished in the oven with good results but, if I wanted smoke on something from the Instant Pot, think I'd just use liquid smoke as a binder for the rub. Would definitely miss the bark and internal texture that only comes with a low and slow cook in a wood fired grill or smoker. You won't get either with the steam. If you've ever eaten ribs at Famous Dave's, you know what I mean. First bite and I knew they boiled or steamed them.

Highly recommend the air fryer attachment,my daughter is making chips right now. After slicing the potatos, mix them up in a bowl with some seasoning ing and just a wee bit of olive oil.
View attachment 13510

Just sent our air fryer home with our daughter. We've had it for about 3 years and probably used it that many times. I agree, it is a great enhancement for an Instant pot if you use it. Love the idea but, for us, it would just be another dust collector. Guess we're just set in our ways and likely won't live long enough to change :)

I have smoked different meats and finished in the oven with good results but, if I wanted smoke on something from the Instant Pot, think I'd just use liquid smoke as a binder for the rub. Would definitely miss the bark and internal texture that only comes with a low and slow cook in a wood fired grill or smoker. You won't get either with the steam. If you've ever eaten ribs at Famous Dave's, you know what I mean. First bite and I knew they boiled or steamed them.
Yes sir it is obvious. But very tasty the way they do it. Still not all the love you can give meat at home.:rolleyes::oops:

Yes sir it is obvious. But very tasty the way they do it. Still not all the love you can give meat at home.:rolleyes::oops:

That's where I got the idea of using liquid smoke as a binder if I did ribs in the instant pot. They do use enough to make the average Joe believer the ribs are smoked/grilled. The char helps too. BTW, the wife talked me into doing a slab of St. Louis in the Instant Pot tomorrow for supper. I'll be finishing them under the broiler with a sweet & spicy glaze. Hoping they're a cut above boiled :eek: She did a great beef stew tonight. Amazing how quick it was to cook. Thinking I might end up liking this thing for Winter cooking. The old bones don't take to the cold like they used to.

Back