Belgian Single

AGbrewer

Premium Member
Reaction score
What is your best recipe for a Belgian Single?

I'm on the hunt for a light colored beer that is refreshing but still has plenty of character without it being a hop bomb. Belgian's are some of my favorites, so let me hear what you got.

Here's something that'll get you in the ballpark. https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/629896/trappist-single
Sub any Pilsner or light 2-row for the base malt. Sub Vienna for the Aromatic if you can't find it. Knock down the IBUs a little if needed and sub any noble hops or maybe Willamette. Any number of Belgian yeasts will do. If you could find WLP515 it would be pretty great but that stuff is like unicorn farts. For water profile use something that will do for a lager.

I'll be following as those are some of my favourites as well.
Not really enough experience yet to help you proper though

Here's something that'll get you in the ballpark. https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/629896/trappist-single
Sub any Pilsner or light 2-row for the base malt. Sub Vienna for the Aromatic if you can't find it. Knock down the IBUs a little if needed and sub any noble hops or maybe Willamette. Any number of Belgian yeasts will do. If you could find WLP515 it would be pretty great but that stuff is like unicorn farts. For water profile use something that will do for a lager.

Don't know that I've ever used biscuit in a recipe before, but I like it. I think I have, but really don't recall. Your recipe looks like something that might fit the bill.

Reactions: J A
Don't know that I've ever used biscuit in a recipe before, but I like it.
Biscuit and Victory are just about the same. They're a toasted malt probably more like Munich than Crystal malt. Whereas Munich tends, in my experience to be toasty and a little fruity, Biscuit tends to be toasty and nutty but still adds some sweetness. It fits extremely well in Belgian malt bills. If anything this recipe might turn out just a little on the sweet side but if you mash low and can get really good attenuation it should finish very crisp and clean.
Because there's not a lot of big malt flavor, the yeast you choose will really jump out. Do some research and see what might give you a little more neutral character. For dry yeast I've used Fermentis T-58 (very fruity with a little spice, not bad but a little bland) and S-33 (probably not really a Belgian strain but really useful for a neutral flavor profile, light pear esters and very malt-friendly and if you let it sit long enough it'll give decent attenuation).

85-90% pilsner, 10-15% table sugar, hops basically for bitterness. Though the overwhelming majority of the challenge is controlling your mash and fermentation to give you the result you want, as the grist and hops are basically a blank canvas. I target a bit of bitterness, some yeast esters and dry as a bone. Highly carbonated and cold for summer.

Last edited:
I use the single as the starter for a coffee imperial stout. Summer is just round the corner so it must be time to add it to the schedule.

I use the single as the starter for a coffee imperial stout. Summer is just round the corner so it must be time to add it to the schedule.

I might could use it as a starter for a belgian quad. I've been wanting to do another one of those. Simply dump the quad on top of the yeast cake and be done with it.

I think you may need to make it public. I tried to click on it and it won't let me see it.
Thanks. I didn't realize that it was set to private.

The recipe is pretty simple. Vienna base malt, Special B for the color and flavor, Caravienne for residual destroy sweetness, and a bit of wheat. It's very lightly hopped. I use the T-58 yeast. The T-58 is not a Belgian yeast per se, but balances out well with the grain bill.

Back