Bread Thread!

Nice loaf!
Check out today's bake same thing bit used just a tad more flour 650g
20200524_124916.jpg

But it stuck
20200524_125025.jpg

Gotta figure out a fail safe for pan baking...
Me method is oil it up and use rice flour on the flour when shaping maybe i should rice flour dust the bread pan? Havnt tried this yet.

I did my last loaf in the bread machine and fell asleep before it was done. It spent the night there and turned out really dry. I've been choking it down over the past week and it's almost done. Time to get with the program and do a decent loaf. Will be waking my starter up this evening.

The first loaf that I baked so many weeks ago during this crisis ended up a tosser. I put it out in the back yard. First, it was attacked by some large, black beetles. Lizards liked to use the loaf to rest in the sun. One morning, I noticed the rock-like loaf had been broken into a few big chunks, with some chunks having been moved to different parts of the yard. Then a song sparrow was a regular visitor to pick at the chunks. After a few weeks in the yard, the chunks had been broken into more manageable pieces. Recently, one of our cats alerted at the back door, and I looked out to see a raven helping itself to one of the chunks, then away it flew. Long way of saying that I have not had any tossers since that first.

So, this morning I got started on making dough for a loaf to bake tomorrow morning. After getting that dough going, I fed my starter, and watched it blossom nicely. Which led me to conclude that I should take advantage of such riches. Given that my wife said “sure” when I asked if I should make a loaf tonight, I set out to do so. So here it is after 9:00pm local time, I have a “No Knead Sourdough” loaf fermenting in the fridge for tomorrow, while a boule is proofing on the counter for baking late tonight. Sometimes I am a glutton for punishment. I won’t make it to bed until after midnight, but I’ve nowhere to go tomorrow.

Nice!
Gonna take another day to fully awaken my starter. Couldn't find any rye or whole wheat flour when shopping today, so will be baking something white for sure. Just enough whole wheat for a few starter feedings.

Looks like the tail end of your tomato season. I'm looking to about the 4th of July for our first ripe ones.

Got a loaf of high-fiber sourdough wheat bread rising right now. And I cheated on the first tomato: Bought the vine with it already on.

Looks tasty herm. Enjoy your work mate.
Thanks Ben. I am finally settling into a good, repeatable process, and my starter is ripe, tangy.
Bummer that I dropped my starter jar, losing the jar and the starter in it, as well as cutting my hand and getting broken glass in a sink full of dishes. Good thing I overbuilt the starter for this loaf in a separate bowl, so I still have ripe starter to work with.

Nice looking loaf! I started using a plastic container for my starter. Figured it was just a matter of time until a disaster occurred involving a Mason jar. Hope the cut hand wasn't serious. And, get back to work slacker :)

Thanks BOB357. Nothing major, just a few small cuts. I cleaned up for an hour, yet I still found chips and flakes of glass the next morning. It would be a good idea to switch to a plastic container going forward.

ETA - In brewing, we are concerned about tiny scratches in plastic harboring bacteria and other nasties. Would we not have the same worries for our sourdough starters?

Thanks BOB357. Nothing major, just a few small cuts. I cleaned up for an hour, yet I still found chips and flakes of glass the next morning. It would be a good idea to switch to a plastic container going forward.

ETA - In brewing, we are concerned about tiny scratches in plastic harboring bacteria and other nasties. Would we not have the same worries for our sourdough starters?
Yep I've dropped my jar but only put a heafty crack in it. If I make a runny starter it seeps out the jar.

The symbiotic nature of the sourdough starter culture should naturally exhibit any nasty bacterial growth.

Back