Hops...Before or After?

MiketheB

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Community,

I made an IPA this evening. I have a question. Do I leave my hops in before putting them in fermenter, or do I take them out before... MikeB

Totally depends on what hops you're talking about. Boil addition hops? whirlpool hops? dry hops?
More info needed.
Most brewers remove all hops from the wort before transfer and then add dry hops after primary fermentation.

Yep I try to whirlpool my hops into the center of the kettle before transferring to fermentor but I've also dumped the lot into fermentor as well. But I'd have to say holding back the hops before transferring to fermentor is what most brewers would do.

I suppose it comes down to them kettle hops being in contact with the beer for longer durin fermentation makes them more prone to adding grassy flavours to your IPA through prolonged contact with the beer.

^^^^ what he said

I like to use my hop spider equipped with a muslin hop bag to contain the hop debris. Before transferring to fermenter, the hop bag is removed. Then I empty the kettle (all of it) into the fermenter.

Hi, Community,

I made an IPA this evening. I have a question. Do I leave my hops in before putting them in fermenter, or do I take them out before... MikeB

Id recommend to avoid transferring them into the fermenter(assuming you’re talking about the boiled hops).

Look into dry hopping if you want to add more hop aromas and flavors

Back