Dumper or ?

west1m

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I cooked up a batch of Pale Ale today. Unfortunately I had more than one plan on the brain before starting. When I bought the grain I was going to use my filterd hard water so I threw in some acidulated grain. Plan B rolls around and all RO water gets used. After the mash going into the boil pot I tried checking the PH. Low 4s. I tossed in a spoon of baking soda and watched it fizz , hmmm acidic or what!
Seeing over a gallon of trub in the bottom of the boil pot I am short on my 5 gallon target to the fermenter. The SG is already low but I tossed in a quart of water anyway.
Threw in some yeast and closed the door, wonder if it will be drinkable...
Too many plans at one time...

I would say let it ride, have a taste when you reach FG, and decide if it is worth packaging or not. But I am no expert, others will no doubt have some input.

Session beer? From where you're at I'd try it at packaging time to see if it's worth the effort (and if it's kegging it probably is).

The baking soda likely fizzed because of neucleation, not acid/base reaction. The gallon of "trub" in your kettle probably contained about 3/4 gallon of good wort. It would have settled just fine in your fermenter had you transferred it and would have had no ill effects on the finished beer. If you're going to leave 25% of your wort in the pot, you'll need to alter your calculations when devising recipes.

Good point, I personally get a half gallon of trub per 5 gallons, even after whirlpooling and leaving a good deal of hop de ris in the kettle

What everyone else said, plus I'd add that I started keeping some of the lightest dme i can find, in stock at the house just in case I feel like I really want to hit my numbers if I come up missing the mark by an amount worth adjusting. I've only done so once, but it was nice to have the option and worked beautifully with the calculators here on bf.

What everyone else said, plus I'd add that I started keeping some of the lightest dme i can find, in stock at the house just in case I feel like I really want to hit my numbers if I come up missing the mark by an amount worth adjusting. I've only done so once, but it was nice to have the option and worked beautifully with the calculators here on bf.
Same here. Same thing can be done with sugar to adjust a couple points a lot more cheaply with no ill effects. I usually calculate the amounts manually, not because it works better but because I forget the calculators are there.

Sorry to derail slightly, but theres a separate calculator for adding fermentables to get your OG on the fly so to speak? I just saw the dilution and boil off ones
If there isn't one, thatd be a great new feature. You'd have to have a menu to select what type of fermentable though

The gallon of "trub" in your kettle probably contained about 3/4 gallon of good wort. It would have settled just fine in your fermenter had you transferred it and would have had no ill effects on the finished beer. If you're going to leave 25% of your wort in the pot, you'll need to alter your calculations when devising recipes.

Just seemed like a lot more leftover in the boil pot after settling out for a while than usual. So I Starsaned a two gallon pitcher and let it settle over night. started with 5.5 quarts of leftovers and after settling 2.5 quarts of it were wort. So I put it in the fermenter...
IMG_9613s.JPG

Sorry to derail slightly, but theres a separate calculator for adding fermentables to get your OG on the fly so to speak? I just saw the dilution and boil off ones
If there isn't one, thatd be a great new feature. You'd have to have a menu to select what type of fermentable though
I may have misspoken. I have been using Brewfather and I think it was a calculator on that software. Apologies.

The baking soda likely fizzed because of neucleation, not acid/base reaction. The gallon of "trub" in your kettle probably contained about 3/4 gallon of good wort. It would have settled just fine in your fermenter had you transferred it and would have had no ill effects on the finished beer. If you're going to leave 25% of your wort in the pot, you'll need to alter your calculations when devising recipes.

Just seemed like a lot more leftover in the boil pot after settling out for a while than usual. So I Starsaned a two gallon pitcher and let it settle over night. started with 5.5 quarts of leftovers and after settling 2.5 quarts of it were wort. So I put it in the fermenter... View attachment 8693

Excellent information! @J A & @west1m, thanks for posting!

Back