Fermented Chilli Sauce

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Had a heap of chilis more than I could use so thought I'd make up a batch of Fermented Chilli hot sauce.

I first saw this on a brewing vlog a week or so ago and it seems to be too easy to be true.

Pretty much you cut the stems off your chilies slice them in half and pack them in a large glass jar. Then cover with salty water (brine) and wait for the lacto action to begin.

As a reference and to share with you other brewers what I've done.

Brine = 1150ml water 52g salt mix until dissolved.
Amount of chillies this batch = 390~gram.
Submerged under water with ziplock bag filled with water.
Apparently you gotta keep them chillies from floating on top of the surface so gotta weigh them down somehow.
20200105_190540.jpg

Any of youse make fermented chilli sauce or other fermented good?

Now to wait for fermentation to begin.

Had a heap of chilis more than I could use so thought I'd make up a batch of Fermented Chilli hot sauce.

I first saw this on a brewing vlog a week or so ago and it seems to be too easy to be true.

Pretty much you cut the stems off your chilies slice them in half and pack them in a large glass jar. Then cover with salty water (brine) and wait for the lacto action to begin.

Apparently you gotta keep them chillies from floating on top of the surface so gotta weigh them down somehow.
View attachment 8420

looking good @Trialben !

I’ve made fermented pickles but haven’t tried fermented hot sauce yet.

View attachment 8420

Cool! You can do the same thing with any vegetable(s). Make fermented Sauerkraut, Kimchi, Pickles, etc. I bought a 1 gallon wide mouth glass fermenter some time ago for this, bun haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

I haven't done much in awhile but used to ferment all kinds of stuff. I used canning jars with holes punched in the lid. I then fit a rubber grommet in the hole and use a normal air lock. I'd pack the jars as tight as possible and use a tough outside cabbage leaf to hold everything down. Have fun!

Radishes (daikons included) are great fermented.

I've made sauerkraut and tonnes of hot sauces, but not yet a fermented hot sauce.
I dunked my last overflow harvest of madam jeanet chili's in vodka as I didn't know what to do with them anymore (freezer is full and these things are hot....)

I've made sauerkraut and tonnes of hot sauces, but not yet a fermented hot sauce.
I dunked my last overflow harvest of madam jeanet chili's in vodka as I didn't know what to do with them anymore (freezer is full and these things are hot....)
Well hope I might have inspired you with another option for them stay tuned I'll post when were at the other end of the ferment.

I’ve given two seminars on “Ferment THIS!” at HomebrewCon and one of the things we sampled was one of my fermented hot sauces. I love it, and it’s so very easy!

Once you start, the possibilities are endless!

It's been just a few days bloody hot summer days mind you and looks to me that things have got well under way in the chilli Jar!
20200109_073116.jpg

You probably cant see it but there are bubbles:)! When I give it a twist up they shoot .
It smells funky and tasted sour little vinigary so I'm on the right track.

I must admit this has been one of my most eagerly awaited fermentations in a long while!

And I just mixed up a sourdough starter....

Yep bring on wild fermentations this year my friends I need to try the wild side baby!:p:cool:

Last edited:
Aren't they both the same when you're bellied up to the bar and someone else is doing the driving?

Looking good, Ben!
Just make sure to open the jar slightly every couple of days to prevent a built up of too much pressure

Went and checked on it this evening and looks like weve developed a bit of a yeast growth ontop it's not furry but quite slick so I'm sure this is all good.
20200109_211012.jpg

Stuck to the ziplock bag.
20200109_211027.jpg

Probably wouldnt want to see this ontop of a batch of beer lol!

Back