German Pils recipe feedback

Carpy

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am a newbie to Brewer's Friend recipe builder. I am also a newbie to brewing German Pils. I am seeking feedback on a German Pils recipe I constructed today. I especially am concerned about the hops, in particular IBU's. I don't want to say that I don't trust this tool, but more so do not trust myself (yet) in using it. :)

Also, we use our softened well water, so it is quite low in minerals. Although I am an extract (sometimes mini-mash) brewer I have occasionally added CaSO4 i particular to some English beers. Should I add any for this German Pils, and/or other minerals (CaCO3, CaCl2, etc.)?

TIA. Cheers!

Carpy

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: German Pils

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: German Pils
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.046
Efficiency: 75% (steeping grains only)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 5.14%
IBU (tinseth): 37.44
SRM (morey): 3.02
Mash pH: 0

FERMENTABLES:
3.3 lb - LME Pilsen Light (46.5%)
3.3 lb - LME Pilsen Light - (late addition) (46.5%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
0.5 lb - American - Carapils Malt (7%)

HOPS:
1.5 oz - Tettnanger, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 26.67
1 oz - Tettnanger, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 10.77
1 oz - Hallertau Hersbrucker, Type: Pellet, AA: 4, Use: Aroma for 0 min

YEAST:
Wyeast - Bohemian Lager 2124
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 48 - 58 F
Fermentation Temp: 50 F
Pitch Rate: 0.75 (M cells / ml / deg P)

PRIMING:
CO2 Level: 2.25 Volumes

The recipe will make a pils. The rest is in the process.

The recipe will make a pils. The rest is in the process.
Thanks for the feedback..
I was considering replacing the Tettnanger bittering with either Perle or Magnum. Your thoughts?
Also, you remarked about "the process". As this is my first Pils/Pilsner, I am a bit apprehensive. From what I've read there are many things to consider, some of which apply to most lagers, but Pils seems to present challenges of its own. In short, what do you think the intermediate level extract brewer should most focus on to give himself the best chance to achieve a tasty brew that fits the style?

Feel free to experiment! As far as what to focus on, the emphasis doesn't change: First sanitation, then fermentation control, then your recipe. One additional focus area for very light beers is oxygen uptake - do minimize any splashing or handling after the beer has fermented and you should be fine.

Feel free to experiment! As far as what to focus on, the emphasis doesn't change: First sanitation, then fermentation control, then your recipe. One additional focus area for very light beers is oxygen uptake - do minimize any splashing or handling after the beer has fermented and you should be fine.

Will do. I look forward to brewing this one shortly after the New Year and having a keg ready for consumption by the time warmer temperatures finally reach Wisconsin! Thanks again, and Cheers!!

Check out this video.

I'll be brewing a German Pils, probably in Jan.
I'm doing BIAB and will be using Pilsner malt, a touch of Victory and Carafoam. yeast Wyeast 2124. Hallertau Mit for hops.

Check out this video.

I'll be brewing a German Pils, probably in Jan.
I'm doing BIAB and will be using Pilsner malt, a touch of Victory and Carafoam. yeast Wyeast 2124. Hallertau Mit for hops.
Yeah he puts out some good content I think hes working his way through all beer styles.

Yeah he puts out some good content I think hes working his way through all beer styles.
Yeah, I enjoy his vids. He posted one recently about a smoked beer. I knew from the get go that one was gonna be bad.

Back