Ran out of simcoe!

Iliff Avenue Brewhouse

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
In the middle of my mash and realized I don’t have any simcoe for my red rye which also features centennial and chinook.

I know I don’t have a decent sub on hand but anything that could work?

azacca
ekuanot
comet
bravo
centennial
chinook

thinking about just blending cent/chin and getting simcoe for its normal dry hop

here is the recipe for reference
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/307791/red-rye

Last edited:
Sorry I’m so late! I think I would have used a mix of chinook and centennial as my sub. But your bravo/comet sounds really interesting, and I can’t wait to hear how it comes out!

Sorry I’m so late! I think I would have used a mix of chinook and centennial as my sub. But your bravo/comet sounds really interesting, and I can’t wait to hear how it comes out!

thanks! I will still dry hop with simcoe so I’m hoping it’s not too far off from previous batches.

Reactions: J A
I've used Azacca and while it's not a direct sub by any means, it has some relatively similar characteristics and would compliment the other hops very nicely. Simcoe/Centennial is just about my favorite combo for IPAs and teamed with Chinook makes a great Northwest-style IPA.

I've used Azacca and while it's not a direct sub by any means, it has some relatively similar characteristics and would compliment the other hops very nicely. Simcoe/Centennial is just about my favorite combo for IPAs and teamed with Chinook makes a great Northwest-style IPA.

thanks! I have no experience with azacca yet i hear it works well with the c hops. You called it. Pretty much going for a red rye ipa though maybe not quite bitter enough.

Last edited:
In my experience so far, Azacca shows a little more "exotic" tropical sweetness than Simcoe. On my palate, Simcoe definitely throws some dense, "heavy" tropicals like mango and passion fruit along with the dank pot quality. Azacca seemed more "tropical Lifesaver" with some of the same flavors as Simcoe and a little more pineapple, citrus, etc in the mix. Azacca has some of the good pot-like quality but not so much of the pine-resin of Simcoe.

Back