Botched Batch

west1m

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
It took a week to notice but I started an extract Cream Ale a week ago. SG seemed a bit low so I tossed in a pound of Honey. I had used a yeast I recovered out of an earlier batch of beer. This is the first time I have tried this. Made a nice 1L starter the night before and put it all together the next day. It's been sitting in the fridge for about a week now at 65° just bubbling away happy as a clam.. While Putting some dishes away this morning, a week later, I found the lid from the jar of used yeast I used. Hmmm WYeast 2278 Czech Pilsner yeast not Safeale 05. The 2278 calls for 50° to 58° not 65°. Doesn't sound too promising.

It'll make beer! It won't be a Czech pilsner and may be a diacetyl bomb but it still may be very good. You aren't going to get what you planned but you still may get something very drinkable. Let us know how it turns out!

At 65 degrees he won't have to worry about diacetyl. Might be fruity as all get out and the area may reek of sulfur. Actually the lager yeast is perfectly appropriate for the style.

You're right on the diacetyl - CRS.

And as people fool around with doing things differently it's becoming more obvious that some lager strains perform more like a typical ale strain than everyone expects. Let us know how it goes. It may be one of those strains.

At 65 degrees he won't have to worry about diacetyl. Might be fruity as all get out and the area may reek of sulfur. Actually the lager yeast is perfectly appropriate for the style.

I did notice a bit of sulfur smell when I opened the fridge a few days ago, only once and very lite but it was there.

Back