2.5 gallon no boil late addition. recipe editor

Kosh

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi, trying to do recipes using the Boil the hops, not the Malt Extract! method found at:
https://www.baderbrewing.com/content/boil-hops

Can I do this with the recipe software on this site? Doing 2.5 gal extract batches, so need to make pre boil about half whats suggested in article. I would be inputting 1.5 gallons pre boil.. Post Boil Size: 0.9 gallons. Steeping specialty grains, remove grain bag, stir in 8 oz dme, add 1st hops for 45 min boil, add last hops 20 min. Turn heat off, remove hops then stir in my 3 lbs lme to pasteurize 15 min. cool, add to fermenter, top with water. pitch.
Tried it but just does not look correct to me, not sure. Can you take a look at the recipe below and check? perhaps i have a value checked wrong? I appreciate the help!

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: chocolate wheat porter
Author: Kosh
Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American Stout
Boil Time: 45 min
Batch Size: 2.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 1.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.027
Efficiency: 70% (steeping grains only)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 6.02%
IBU (tinseth): 35.35
SRM (morey): 33.78
Mash pH: 0

FERMENTABLES:
3 lb - LME Golden Light - (late addition) (70.1%)
8 oz - DME Golden Light (11.7%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
3 oz - American - Roasted Barley (4.4%)
5.5 oz - German - Chocolate Wheat (8%)
0.5 oz - German - Melanoidin (0.7%)
0.5 oz - American - Black Malt (0.7%)
3 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (4.4%)

HOPS:
15 g - Fuggle, Type: Pellet, AA: 5.6, Use: Boil for 45 min, IBU: 25.5
12 g - Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 9.85

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

PRIMING:
CO2 Level: 2.65 Volumes

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: London (Porter, dark ales)
Ca2: 100
Mg2: 5
Na: 35
Cl: 60
SO4: 50
HCO3: 265
Water Notes:

NOTES:
untested.

Generated by Brewer's Friend - https://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2019-11-05 01:17 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2019-11-05 01:16 UTC

Sure! When did you add your “late extract addition” in minutes?

Hi,

i have not tried this brewing method yet, want to make sure it all looks correct first in the recipe software on this site. Will be adding the bulk of the lme and after removing pot from heat, letting lme sit 15 minutes to pasteurize.
Thanks!

whoops! my pasted message kept vanishing, didn't finish hitting reply, it posted regardless!

It looks ok, except for the water. That’s a lot of bicarbonate, and I probably wouldn’t mess with the water on this first batch except to use reverse osmosis or distilled water.

Thanks! so... you say with my 1.5 gallons pre boil.. Post Boil Size: 0.9 gallons. Steeping specialty grains, remove grain bag, stir in 8 oz dme, add 1st hops for 45 min boil, add last hops 20 min. then 3lbs lme after the boil for 15 min. that will get me the IBU shown or close enough? Yeah i was looking at the water profile and must have added the london water by mistake! I'll be using bottled spring water! I do need to keep late additions checked on the lme, right? Thanks again!

Thanks! so... you say with my 1.5 gallons pre boil.. Post Boil Size: 0.9 gallons. Steeping specialty grains, remove grain bag, stir in 8 oz dme, add 1st hops for 45 min boil, add last hops 20 min. then 3lbs lme after the boil for 15 min. that will get me the IBU shown or close enough? Yeah i was looking at the water profile and must have added the london water by mistake! I'll be using bottled spring water! I do need to keep late additions checked on the lme, right? Thanks again!

The boil off seems right, boiling off .6 gallon per hour. I boil off 1.5 gallons an hour, with the size and width of my pot. To test that, you could boil 1.5 gallons on your stove (water) and then measure after the boil to see how much you actually boil off- but .6 gallon per hour is as good a guess as any I’d think.

When you time your hops, add your first addition and set your timer for the hop boil time. Usually it’s 60 minutes, but 45 minutes is fine if you want to do that (get a little less bettering). So then you watch your timer click down- when you have 15 minutes left on your timer, add the second hops (the 15 minute hops addition). When the timer hits 0, turn off the flame. Then add your remaining extract and chill your wort.

Great suggestion with the pot boil-off testing! Heading overseas for awhile so looking into an induction cooker and 3 gallon 10" diameter pot since that seems to be the maximum these cooktops can handle. This has been a never-ending search, especially with trying to keep expenses down. More brew companies should make equipment for the small batch crowd!

Found a nice heavy-duty 12 quart pot but now the manufacturer tells me it's 12" diameter bottom! Why can't someone make a 10" w x 12-14" h pot that is induction ready? The search continues! This thin wort boil is alien to me but i want to try it since it sounds ideally for my situation at this time! Anyway after getting settled overseas I will certainly report back on my results! Thanks again for the help!

Back