What are you drinking right now?

I did a Mosaic single hop IPA a couple years ago. It came out nice. If I did it again I would bitter @ 60 with favorite bittering hop and put the Mosaic in at 5 min and WP and DH.

Would that be Warrior for bittering?

That is a good one. Their Centennial ain't to shabby either.

Their Centennial is my least favorite. Probably just me, but Centennial by itself just tastes too sweet. However else I use it I don't find that to be true.

So they make beer in Texas, huh? Had a Real Ale's Fireman's #4 blonde prior to this dark beauty,
20191010_153118.jpg

Colorado IPA by Hobart Brewing. One of those sweet, bitter retro West Coast IPAs. It was great for the first few 100mL, but it's now reminding me how hard going those beers were and how the hazy IPAs got the jump on them.

Hobart-Brewing-Co-Colorado-IPA-ff62-1.jpg
What a beautiful blush that has going on looks beautiful

So they make beer in Texas, huh? Had a Real Ale's Fireman's #4 blonde prior to this dark beauty,
View attachment 7524
I've tasted some pretty good Texas beer - next time in San Antonio I'll definitely visit Freetail and see what they won the GABF medal for. Of course, I've tasted some Tejax swamp water, too - a local brewery with no idea of water chemistry in a hard water zone comes to mind.... Lubbock now has two good breweries, Triple J's and another, downtown, I can't recall the name and am too lazy to google. Amarillo is a different story - one microbrewery producing swill.

I've been on call since GABF so this is tasting mighty delicious.
My Nacho Cream Ale. I changed things up a bit on this batch. I made a pepper tincture with vodka this go around and I can't tell a difference from adding chillies at the boil so I'll probably continue on the tincture route in the future. I also used kveik yeast WLP518 Opshaug. Fermented under pressure at 79f. Overall, pretty tasty, but in the future I think I'll continue to use my standard 05.
Enough heat to know you've got a chile beer!
20191011_163700.jpg

I've been on call since GABF so this is tasting mighty delicious.
My Nacho Cream Ale. I changed things up a bit on this batch. I made a pepper tincture with vodka this go around and I can't tell a difference from adding chillies at the boil so I'll probably continue on the tincture route in the future. I also used kveik yeast WLP518 Opshaug. Fermented under pressure at 79f. Overall, pretty tasty, but in the future I think I'll continue to use my standard 05.
Enough heat to know you've got a chile beer!
View attachment 7529
So what's your take on the kviek yeast strain? I've found even though it's a bloody great alternative for fermentation in hot weather and it sure will.get you a.pretty clean ale it's still got a certain citrus flavour to it and can come across as a little bitter in the Voss kviek fermented brews I've created. I've also found yes you can turn them kviek beers around and be drinking within the week but them beers do need a little conditioning to really hit their Mark.

Don't get me wrong I'll be using it this comming summer but it's just another tool in the brew belt in my opinion not a complete be all end all yeast strain.

So what's your take on the kviek yeast strain? I've found even though it's a bloody great alternative for fermentation in hot weather and it sure will.get you a.pretty clean ale it's still got a certain citrus flavour to it and can come across as a little bitter in the Voss kviek fermented brews I've created. I've also found yes you can turn them kviek beers around and be drinking within the week but them beers do need a little conditioning to really hit their Mark.

Don't get me wrong I'll be using it this comming summer but it's just another tool in the brew belt in my opinion not a complete be all end all yeast strain.

I think I get a lemony type tartness? Best way for me to describe it anyway. For sure not as clean I dont think. I'm with you on using it during the summer yeast. This will fit in just right during the hot time. I think it will be a much better yeast in an ipa which is actually what this strain is suggested for anyway.
Not bad though! I'll drink it!

I think I get a lemony type tartness? Best way for me to describe it anyway. For sure not as clean I dont think. I'm with you on using it during the summer yeast. This will fit in just right during the hot time. I think it will be a much better yeast in an ipa which is actually what this strain is suggested for anyway.
Not bad though! I'll drink it!
Great description yeah it's there but here's another thing I've found I'm overpitching on my previous brews too. Supposedly only a teaspoon per 20lt batch is needed anymore according to (Sigmund?) Is an over pitch!

My next NEIPA brew (not likely until the new year) I was looking to go with the Hornindall. Our local Escarpment Labs has this strain in liquid form.

Mmm mmm I followed your orders @thunderwagn and gee am I glad I did!
Can you believe I brewed this beer on Monday pitched at around miday and here I am it's 5pm Saturday arvo drinking this beer 5 days later!
20191012_171802.jpg

It is good it has a reminisnt reminder of the BF community porter recipie only this beer finishes cleaner and dryer and has less bitterness and wow it is crushable which to me is what this beer is designed for.
Cheers can't wait untill this has some time on it. I'm a happy Brew this arvo lady's and gentlemen a.happy brewer indeed!

I've tasted some pretty good Texas beer - next time in San Antonio I'll definitely visit Freetail and see what they won the GABF medal for. Of course, I've tasted some Tejax swamp water, too - a local brewery with no idea of water chemistry in a hard water zone comes to mind.... Lubbock now has two good breweries, Triple J's and another, downtown, I can't recall the name and am too lazy to google. Amarillo is a different story - one microbrewery producing swill.

I was and I did sample one of their core beers! I wound down one of my evenings with a Freetail Soul Doubt IPA based on the bartender's recommendation as "not too hoppy" which I am learning is everybody else's idea of "on the verge of too hoppy for me" but still a good beer! Not quite a grapefruit spritzer but plenty-o-citrus in that can. Not knowing the geography or the number of joints they had in town, there was one close by as I was staying not too far from the Alamo, I think that is gonna have to be a stop on the next trip. Is that the mothership or are there many shops in town?

Back