Show Us Your Opener

Ward Chillington

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
While using one of the many bottle openers that live in many of my kitchen drawers and I thought to myself that folks like us would be in a world of hurt without these handy dandy little keys to the some of the best stuff we ever drank! I also started to think about my grandmother who was a secretary at Crown Cork and Seal and the odd little connections that our past makes with our present so thanks for that Grandma!

Humble and ubiquitous as they are, let's show them the same love we do our homebrews, our beer glasses, our boils!

Below is one of my oldest which I am sure must have come into the house through my folks and I wouldn't be surprised if from my grandparents as the Gunther brewery was on the east side of Baltimore not too far from where my dad grew up. The place changed hands to Hamm's at about the time I was born so its got to be at least as old as I am!

20190720_171951 (1).jpeg

So, show us your opener and tell us a story!

Last edited:
Tell ya the truth mine doesn't get much use I don't even know where a loose one lives round here ecept for this screwed to me brew sink. It used to live in the kitchen but was in wrong spot for opening beers.

I did use it yesterday to open a bottle of black bean sauce :rolleyes: They got screw tops on so here in Aus well some do anyways.
20190916_115557.jpg

Sorry to disappoint. I know plenty businesses here in Aus put their logo on them as a key chain type thing their handy.

While using one of the many bottle openers that live in many of my kitchen drawers and I thought to myself that folks like us would be in a world of hurt without these handy dandy little keys to the some of the best stuff we ever drank! I also started to think about my grandmother who was a secretary at Crown Cork and Seal and the odd little connections that our past makes with our present so thanks for that Grandma!

Humble and ubiquitous as they are, let's show them the same love we do our homebrews, our beer glasses, our boils!

Below is one of my oldest which I am sure must have come into the house through my folks and I wouldn't be surprised if from my grandparents as the Gunther brewery was on the east side of Baltimore not too far from where my dad grew up. The place changed hands to Hamm's at about the time I was born so its got to be at least as old as I am!

View attachment 7221

So, show us your opener and tell us a story!
Thats a nice piece, and a story to go with it. I have several scattered around from Great Falls Select (dads favorite beer), Hamms, Olympia, and some with just buisness names on them. None with a good story such as yours, CHEERS
PS I do have one like TB's that I stole from a motel!:rolleyes: There is a story there but I am waiting for the statute of limitation?

The one on the keezer sees a fair amount of usage.
20190916_053416.jpg
The one we keep upstairs pretty much only gets used if you forget to use the one in the basement on the keezer.
20190916_053534.jpg

Then there's this one I got for free at Home Deopt years ago when I purchased paint. It's my favorite hands down. I use it to preserve the caps I want to keep as it keeps them in perfect condition.
20190916_053448.jpg

I've gotten many others just like it but they don't even come close to this one. I'd gladly give up all the others for this one.

Then there's this one I got for free at Home Deopt years ago when I purchased paint. It's my favorite hands down. I use it to preserve the caps I want to keep as it keeps them in perfect condition.

YEAH! That's what I'm talking about! Be it ever so humble...there's no opener like that opener! ...or his long lost cousin...where the hell did this one come from? Arrow Beer??

20190916_200403.jpeg

Not sure exactly how do this one is, I would say it is from the early 1980's. At that time this was the only place that you could buy beer in Ontario, except of course bars and restaurants.
IMG_20190916_2206589.jpg

IMG_20190916_2207069.jpg

OUCH! Yeah, that's why we have openers; right? So we DON"T need to improvise with things like the edge of a table, a car door, a belt buckle or even your teeth! Are we not civilized, sophisticated Homebrewers with a sense of dignity, class and aristocracy?

20190727_131704.jpeg

NAAAAAAAAA ! From a trip to the left coast.

Back