What are you drinking right now?

Crooked Stave pilsner
20190831_195210.jpg

I just finished my first glass of my accidental black ale, the one that should have been the Kentucky Breakfast Stout. A happy accident indeed! The beer is black, opaque, with a brown persistent head. It has a faint cocoa and chocolate plus roast malt nose, kind of like carafa II smells. But drinking it, wow. I hate to blow my own horn but this is one of the best beers I've ever had, and yes, I've had Westvleteren 12. It's thick, creamy, almost silky. It's chocolate - think the dark chocolate of a really fine cake, coffee, a dark espresso with a touch of sweetener, vanilla, roast, a touch of dark fruitiness. If any of you are in the Aurora, CO area and want to try it, I'll have a bottle at the Aurora City Brew Club meeting next Sunday at the Brew Hut. I also wish I could share with all my friends here....

I just finished my first glass of my accidental black ale, the one that should have been the Kentucky Breakfast Stout. A happy accident indeed! The beer is black, opaque, with a brown persistent head. It has a faint cocoa and chocolate plus roast malt nose, kind of like carafa II smells. But drinking it, wow. I hate to blow my own horn but this is one of the best beers I've ever had, and yes, I've had Westvleteren 12. It's thick, creamy, almost silky. It's chocolate - think the dark chocolate of a really fine cake, coffee, a dark espresso with a touch of sweetener, vanilla, roast, a touch of dark fruitiness. If any of you are in the Aurora, CO area and want to try it, I'll have a bottle at the Aurora City Brew Club meeting next Sunday at the Brew Hut. I also wish I could share with all my friends here....

I made a similar error (too much sparge water) and ended up with similar thoughts. Thinking about making it deliberately next time. 80% of the flavour of the full strength with 50% of the ABV is very appealing when you've looking at filling a keg.

Heck YEAH Nosey sounds delishous all you gotta do now I recreated it. What was it fill the kettle with some tap water at flame out lol.
Congrats nothing warms a brewers heart than a well concocted homebrew.

Heck YEAH Nosey sounds delishous all you gotta do now I recreated it. What was it fill the kettle with some tap water at flame out lol.
Congrats nothing warms a brewers heart than a well concocted homebrew.
I kept good notes so I can recreate it. And yes, the accident was the addition of 1.5 gallons of tap water to the wort. But our tap water here is very very good.

Well, I buy ya one in October if ya wasn't out galavantin' in the woods :)
Shoot something this year. If you don't, take a couple of the other kind of shots for me.

Here's that Lil ale I brewed recently with Centennial and CTZ.
20190906_153601.jpg
it's a tad paler than that murky as all it is a blond ale. Not bad not my best effort neither I'm getting a touch of Grassiness on the Finnish. hops went in at 30 min then a whirlpool 30min 80c addition then a small keg hop addition. Fermentation was good attenuation was good 80% but I ran out of sulphate on brew day so upped calcium with more chloride and I've lost that crispness I'm used to in this beer. I'll take it though it's not bad by no means just not 100%. Well take 2 is in the fermentor it's a Brooklyn hopped version. Happy Friday Arvo to everyone hope the weeks been good to you all!

More of this delicious BF community recipie wow I love it. Bro had a crack at it yesterday evening and he was picking up heaps of coffee but I get a more roasty chocolate thing hmmm different pallets.View attachment 7149
Looks good man. I'm really looking forward to brewing mine. I can't even remember the last porter/ stout I brewed.
I left all the grain numbers the same when I plugged it in and my abv will be up around 6.5%. I like a bit of heft in my dark brews so I left it!

Looks like mine should be in a keg around the end of October. I seldom do dark beers, but this one sounds good. Also have a Cherrywood Smoked Stout coming up that our youngest daughter requested for the holidays.

I don't know when I'll get to brewing it - the next month or so is pretty much slammed with Daughter's wedding and travel. But I've brewed it before and drink it whenever it's on tap. And I have the "accidental" black ale in my inventory now but I should be able to knock it out before the end of October.

Tasting beer in Crescent City CA today. First stop was Port O’Pints. Awesome beers. Local vibe, great selection. Lisa had an IPA and I had an ESB. Both spot on. They gave me a taste from the conditioning tank of a single hop Warrior Pale. It was sooo good at 42 IBUs.
Now at SeaQuake. There’s a lot going on here, great food and beer. This is a session IPA with Mosaic and Azacca. Delicious!
upload_2019-9-10_15-21-47.jpeg

Back