You know you did it wrong when...

....you wind up with a gallon and a half more in the fermentor than you had in the kettle. My immersion chiller sprung a leak from one of the junctions, resulting in a fine spray of coolant water into the kettle. My 1.087 Kentucky Breakfast Stout ended up at 1.070. We'll see how it goes.

....you wind up with a gallon and a half more in the fermentor than you had in the kettle. My immersion chiller sprung a leak from one of the junctions, resulting in a fine spray of coolant water into the kettle. My 1.087 Kentucky Breakfast Stout ended up at 1.070. We'll see how it goes.
Oh noooo chlorinated garden hose water. Fingers crossed hey Nosey of all beers this one may just cover that flavour.

Did you include garden hose in your sensory training:D. Sorry...

Oh noooo chlorinated garden hose water. Fingers crossed hey Nosey of all beers this one may just cover that flavour.

Did you include garden hose in your sensory training:D. Sorry...
No, garden hose wasn't in the training. My hose to the chiller is drinking water grade. The leak was where the plastic hose was clamped on to the metal pipe of the chiller. It had slid forward to where the metal pipe wasn't round and was spraying out of there. I fixed it, had I been thinking I wouldn't have pitched the wort and saved the yeast for the next round but hey, equipment fails sometime. I'll ferment it and see what the coffee/chocolate imperial stout is like.

My chiller water is a 55 gallon drum of lightly star sanned water so if I ended up putting that much in it would be a dumper for sure.

I'd just started chilling today when the inlet hose on my IC developed a leak. Luckily, I was right there and shut the water off in a few seconds. The wort was still in the 190F range, so the ounce or 2 that might have made it into the kettle wasn't a problem.

So, two days in, the beer is actually tasting pretty good! It's extremely roasty and bitter but the flavors are coming through nicely. I tasted today while it was still fermenting, we'll see what happens when all the sugar is gone but this may turn out to be a happy accident. As mentioned, it's extreme but, wouldn't you know, like an extreme version of the Nautical Star. And I think I really like the Nugget-Willamette hop combo.

It's been dubbed "Accidentalis Black Ale". It's quite good - the dextrines from the high mashing give it a sweetness, it's roasty as hell and I'm going to play around with it - cinnamon is one idea, hazelnut and vanilla (more than is already in there) another. The KBS is in the fermentor, I'll rack it onto the bourbon, wood and coffee (more coffee!) this coming weekend.

When you upend a 5 gallon jug of RO water into your boiler and hear a strange splashing sound near your feet. Yep, finally did it. Forgot to close the ball valve before starting to fill my Digiboil. Luckily, I was able to shut the valve quickly. Estimated about a cup lost. Must have been close, because my OG and volume were spot on.

It's been dubbed "Accidentalis Black Ale". It's quite good - the dextrines from the high mashing give it a sweetness, it's roasty as hell and I'm going to play around with it - cinnamon is one idea, hazelnut and vanilla (more than is already in there) another. The KBS is in the fermentor, I'll rack it onto the bourbon, wood and coffee (more coffee!) this coming weekend.
Sounds yumo

When this happens...
20190831_092435.jpg

I think I'm done with hydrometers.

When this happens...
View attachment 7090
I think I'm done with hydrometers.

After doing that many times, I started moving the sample to a remote corner of the counter. Still using a hydrometer to dial in the wort correction factor for my refractometer. When I have that down pat will put the hydrometer into my spare parts bin.

After doing that many times, I started moving the sample to a remote corner of the counter. Still using a hydrometer to dial in the wort correction factor for my refractometer. When I have that down pat will put the hydrometer into my spare parts bin.

Well, a bit over $50 later, I now have another new hydrometer. There was a refractometer right next to it so I gave it a new home too! I'd contemplated getting one many times so I guess this was a good opportunity to just do it.

Well, a bit over $50 later, I now have another new hydrometer. There was a refractometer right next to it so I gave it a new home too! I'd contemplated getting one many times so I guess this was a good opportunity to just do it.
Once you come to trust the conversion, the hydrometer will gather dust on your shelf. The refractometer is so much easier and the formulas I use are accurate to +/- 0.0003 points. That's close enough for me, the guy who once said on this forum, why do we need six digits of precision.

Not to rub it in but ironically I've never broken one! Only replaced because readings were out.
I take reading and always clean wipe and put straight away.

I was doing good. I think I had this one a couple of years lol. It's always at the worst times also.

Back