First Lager Question

Jccostell

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I am brewing a low gravity lager. It has been fermenting at 53. After 10 days I brought the temperature to 68 for a 2 day diacetyl rest. Today (12 days) I racked into a secondary. The FG is at target.

I tasted It had a strong diacetyl taste. I know you can leave it for longer at higher temps to clean up the diacetyl. I was wondering if I messed up transferring it? If I leave it for another 4-5 days will it get rid of the diacetyl or should I pitch more yeast?

Thanks guys

Hey guys.

I am brewing a low gravity lager. It has been fermenting at 53. After 10 days I brought the temperature to 68 for a 2 day diacetyl rest. Today (12 days) I racked into a secondary. The FG is at target.

I tasted It had a strong diacetyl taste. I know you can leave it for longer at higher temps to clean up the diacetyl. I was wondering if I messed up transferring it? If I leave it for another 4-5 days will it get rid of the diacetyl or should I pitch more yeast?

Thanks guys
Warm it up and see what happens. You may be too late but there's really no other way to get rid of it. One thing for future reference: If you used a single packet of yeast, you did not use enough. That could be the source of the diacetyl.

Hold it at 68 for another week. I don't know if you checked gravity, but S-23 acts pretty quickly and 10 days at 53F probably finished the fermentation completely with that cell count. Adding yeast won't do much but adding some sugar or malt extract might re-start things enough to take up the remaining diacetyl.
I've never gotten diacetyl with S-23 but I tend to ferment a little warmer when I use it - above mid-50s F. If you don't see any difference with another few days at 68, try the extra fermentables - maybe a quarter lb of sugar or a half lb of extract will be enough to slightly re-krausen.

Hold it at 68 for another week. I don't know if you checked gravity, but S-23 acts pretty quickly and 10 days at 53F probably finished the fermentation completely with that cell count. Adding yeast won't do much but adding some sugar or malt extract might re-start things enough to take up the remaining diacetyl.
I've never gotten diacetyl with S-23 but I tend to ferment a little warmer when I use it - above mid-50s F. If you don't see any difference with another few days at 68, try the extra fermentables - maybe a quarter lb of sugar or a half lb of extract will be enough to slightly re-krausen.

Thanks for your suggestion. Still buttery today. I went ahead and boiled 5/8 lb extract and threw it in this evening. Hopefully that'll clear it up.

Some yeasts are just diacetyl-prone at certain temperatures. I've never experienced it with S-23 but depending on your malt and mashing, you may have a fair amount. If it's a smooth, pleasant butteriness and the hops are very present, it can make a fine lager when carbonated.

Back