Small batch yeast

CharlestonBrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
I really wish yeast companies could package yeast for small batches. 1 to 3 gallons. Would love to use imperial yeast on a 1 gallon batch but don’t want to waste a ton of yeast. Random thought

A yeast sample pack would be cool. ‘Our type 5 yeast strains for 1 gallon batches’

I really wish yeast companies could package yeast for small batches. 1 to 3 gallons. Would love to use imperial yeast on a 1 gallon batch but don’t want to waste a ton of yeast. Random thought

A yeast sample pack would be cool. ‘Our type 5 yeast strains for 1 gallon batches’
Just use a single sachet, or half. You can overpitch but it takes a lot of yeast. Dry yeast is cheap, or I'd make another recommendation.

Or do a couple small batches at a time and split the yeast package between them. That way you don't waste yeast you spent money on. Of course you need a second small fermenter and a place to ferment it at the correct temp but it being small you should be able to do a swamp cooler method to regulate temp pretty easily.

I regularly use a half packet of dry yeast in a 3 gallon batch. I just try to get all of the air out of the package and tape up the remainder and store in the refrigerator. Works quite well.

I regularly use a half packet of dry yeast in a 3 gallon batch. I just try to get all of the air out of the package and tape up the remainder and store in the refrigerator. Works quite well.

Second all that above and I too have followed Bubba's rec. If you are doing a higher gravity brew, using the entire packet per Nosy's recommendation is gonna work best as you will need that count for that batch to finish right. I would only add that you should Star San your packet, scissors and your storage container that you will put back in the fridge and use it within the week as you don't want to risk introducing any wild yeasts.

Here's a question though for the smarter guys who do starters....could you make a starter with any leftover and store that for a couple weeks until your next brew day??

Second all that above and I too have followed Bubba's rec. If you are doing a higher gravity brew, using the entire packet per Nosy's recommendation is gonna work best as you will need that count for that batch to finish right. I would only add that you should Star San your packet, scissors and your storage container that you will put back in the fridge and use it within the week as you don't want to risk introducing any wild yeasts.

Here's a question though for the smarter guys who do starters....could you make a starter with any leftover and store that for a couple weeks until your next brew day??
I don't see why not.

On each of my brews to date (all in the 1 to 1.5 gallon range), I have just used a whole packet of dry yeast. For the last 2 batches, I have split a packet between 2 one gallon carboys, with good results. At my lhbs, the cost for a packet of Safale US 05 is about $3.50, so I don’t sweat the cost.

a packet of Safale US 05 is about $3.50, so I don’t sweat the cost.

While I completely agree with you Herm, as a child of depression era parents, an official member of the clean plate club because of the starving children in (insert the country of your choice here) and a self proclaimed Cheap Bastard, it's tough to go against my waste not want not brain washing!

Ward, I too am a member of the clean plate club , and a generally thrifty guy. If I was brewing more frequently, I would try to develop some skill in harvesting yeast. It seems a daunting task to harvest from 1 gallon carboys, but it might be a challenge that I’ll confront later in my brewing adventure.

Ward, I too am a member of the clean plate club , and a generally thrifty guy. If I was brewing more frequently, I would try to develop some skill in harvesting yeast. It seems a daunting task to harvest from 1 gallon carboys, but it might be a challenge that I’ll confront later in my brewing adventure.
Easy decant beer. Add boiled cooled DME starter mix 100g/lt to carboys cover with alfoil shake it like it owes you money leave to ferment. Decant supernatant thanks Google then pour slurry into cleaned then pre boiled then starsaned 250 - 500ml jars store in fridge untill use. Use the jar size to determine cell count.

Back