D-240 Candi Syrup

AGbrewer

Premium Member
Reaction score
First time poster, so please be cool. Also only have about 10 batches of AG under my belt, so still learning on that side as well.

Has anyone done a big beer with d-240? I know that Denny mentioned it had more coffee and chocolate flavors, but wanted to see if anyone else had experience with it. I'm thinking about using it on a Westy 12 clone or RIS. I'm wanting more depth of flavor rather than fruity.

Haven't used it. Last Big Belgian I blended D90 and D180 and wasn't completely satisfied with the result. So let us know how your beer comes out! And welcome: We don't bite.

I've used 180 in some dark beers and have found it adds a lot of flavor - not burnt but very dark-toffee, slight roast.I'd be a little leery of 240 in terms of burnt character, which I don't like a lot of, but in an RIS, that would fit. I think for a Belgian I'd rather use a little dark roasted malt for those coffee/chocolate notes and pick up more dark caramel notes from slightly lighter syrup.

I'm thinking of trying it next time I do a dark Belgian (or even for a bit of character in a Porter or Stout). Will report back once I do.

So here is the 5 gallon recipe for the BDSA and RIS that I would use D-240 in. I use BIAB (Brewers Edge Mash and Boil) and the process for each one is pretty similar, but thinking the flavors would be a bit different. Just looking to add a different dimension of flavor. A bit of depth. Also thinking about doing a barrel age (with an actual 5 gallon bourbon barrel) on both of these once I get the base recipe tasting right.

BDSA (Modified from HBS Recipe)
OG: 1.100 FG: 1.016

Fermentables
14 lb German - Pilsner
1 lb German - CaraMunich III
8 oz Belgian - Biscuit
5 oz Belgian - Aromatic
4 oz Belgian - Special B
3 oz Belgian - Chocolate
1 lb Candi Syrup - Belgian Candi Syrup - D-240
1 lb Belgian Candi Sugar - Amber/Brown (60L)

Hops
1.25 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 Minutes

Yeast
2 Liter Starter of Omega Yeast 028 Belgian Ale W

Mash 150 for 60-90 Minutes with 1.3 wtr/grn, fly sparge with 3 gallons of water (squeeze the bag), Boil for 120 minutes, Ferment at 64 and ramp 1 degree every day. Before Active Fermentation ends, D-Rest for 2 days. Once final SG has been reached, Cold Crash (30 degrees) for a couple days and then add the gelatin finings. Bottle and wait for 6 months before tasting.

RIS (Modified from HBS Recipe)

OG: 1.131 FG: 1.030

15.5 lb American - Pale Ale
5 lb American - Munich - Light 10L
1 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 60L
1 lb American - Chocolate
1 lb American - Roasted Barley
1 lb American - Black Malt
1 lb Candi Syrup - Belgian Candi Syrup - D-240

Hop
0.5 oz Admiral at 90 Minutes

Yeast
2 Liter Starter US-05

Mash at 150 for 60-90 Minutes with 1.3 ratio of wtr/grn, fly sparge with 3 gallons of water (squeeze the bag), Boil for 120 minutes, Ferment at 64 and ramp up to 72 over 10 days. Before active fermentation is complete, D-Rest for a couple days and then cold crash for a couple days before adding gelatin. Bottle a few days after that and wait 6 months to taste test.

I should mention that I've already brewed the RIS before and it turned out great (albeit without the D-240 in it). Most difficult brew that I've done (mainly due to equipment issues), but definitely the best beer I've ever made and one of the best stouts (home brew or commercial) that I've ever tasted. Yeast died on me around 12.5% abv, not sure what to do about that. But given the taste and mouthfeel were right on, not sure I need to do anything.

Let us know how it comes out.

Craigerrr, that Sounds like a good IPA. Might have to try it.

Craigerrr, that Sounds like a good IPA. Might have to try it.
My beer snob friends tell me that this is the best beer I have brewed yet.
I can only take credit for not effing it up! I copied the recipe from a member here AnteK.
I have some other recipes I have copied from him that are now in my future brews list.

Sorry to digress from the subject, only thought that maybe this recipe might get more commentary going on the candi syrup.

Cheers AG

I have used some in a Black IPA recipe. It is a recipe that I copied from a member here, and it was REALLY really good. The exact role it played in the flavor of the beer, I could not comment. Here is the recipe.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/723308/back-in-black-ipa
Dang, that does sound good! May have to try a "black IPA" colored with Candi! Depending on the syrup, it would add dark, dried fruit (think prune) or burnt sugar (think rum).

Back