American Wheat Beer

Reaction score
Hi guys ... Need some help in recipe below:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/838085/american-wheat-beer-1

What i am looking for is make this beer, refresing and citrus.

The Vienna malt is just to add color.
Hop Citra to add citrus flavor and aroma.

For the malt bill is everything ok ? And the hop additions ? For fermentation, is that right use US_05 ? In my region don`t have avaiable WYEAST 1010 (american wheat)

The protein rest in 46 C, is really necessary ? Sometimes i am seeing some people doing, and people saying that is not necessary, so what is the best ?

I aprecciate any help, tips and evaluation about this recipe and steps.

Looks good to me. Should make a good American Wheat. I personally don't think a protein rest is necessary but I am a single infusion guy. I have a wheat on tap right now that is crystal clear with a single infusion. If you want to make it more interesting you could use a more expressive yeast and a tad more hops?

Last edited:
Hi guys ... Need some help in recipe below:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/838085/american-wheat-beer-1

What i am looking for is make this beer, refresing and citrus.

The Vienna malt is just to add color.
Hop Citra to add citrus flavor and aroma.

For the malt bill is everything ok ? And the hop additions ? For fermentation, is that right use US_05 ? In my region don`t have avaiable WYEAST 1010 (american wheat)

The protein rest in 46 C, is really necessary ? Sometimes i am seeing some people doing, and people saying that is not necessary, so what is the best ?

I aprecciate any help, tips and evaluation about this recipe and steps.
Everything looks okay and BTW, if aging memory serves, US-05 and WY 1010 are the same strain or at least very similar. American Wheat is just about the most boring beer style imaginable this side of American Mass-Market Lager, your recipe looks good. As to the protein rest, it's up to you, do you want haze or not. I've had wheat beers both ways and there's not a lot of difference. It comes down to knowing what a process step does whether to include it or not.

Looks good to me. Should make a good American Wheat. I personally don't think a protein rest is necessary but I am a single infusion guy. I have a wheat on tap right now that is crystal clear with a single infusion. If you want to make it more interesting you could use a more expressive yeast and a tad more hops?

i did an update adding more hops to have more citrus and fruit aroma, thanks, lets check the outcome ... thanks

Everything looks okay and BTW, if aging memory serves, US-05 and WY 1010 are the same strain or at least very similar. American Wheat is just about the most boring beer style imaginable this side of American Mass-Market Lager, your recipe looks good. As to the protein rest, it's up to you, do you want haze or not. I've had wheat beers both ways and there's not a lot of difference. It comes down to knowing what a process step does whether to include it or not.

yeah i decided to do without protein rest and check the outcome, thanks

Haha. It is a pretty boring style, but it certainly tastes delicious and hits the spot on hot summer days floating in the pool.
I don't do protein rests for American wheat, and 05 is my go to for this style. I like the little addition of Vienna. You could always add some citrus/orange peel.

Haha. It is a pretty boring style, but it certainly tastes delicious and hits the spot on hot summer days floating in the pool.
I don't do protein rests for American wheat, and 05 is my go to for this style. I like the little addition of Vienna. You could always add some citrus/orange peel.
Not arguing that at all! Mass-market American lager is pretty refreshing on a hot day.... I like mine with lemongrass and ginger to cut through some of the boring parts.

Like your malt bill, simple but effective.

I would strongly advise against using citra for that long of boil. It's a great hop, I use it a ton, but when used in early additions for bittering I have gotten an unpleasant catty flavor from it. I personally like to use a noble hop for something I want to have a lower IBU, then flavor with citra in late additions. If you want to bump the IBU up, maybe chinook instead. The flavor, to go with the "americaness" of your beer will come primarily from the late additions anyway.

W
Like your malt bill, simple but effective.

I would strongly advise against using citra for that long of boil. It's a great hop, I use it a ton, but when used in early additions for bittering I have gotten an unpleasant catty flavor from it. I personally like to use a noble hop for something I want to have a lower IBU, then flavor with citra in late additions. If you want to bump the IBU up, maybe chinook instead. The flavor, to go with the "americaness" of your beer will come primarily from the late additions anyway.

Interesting, what do you think to use magnum just to bitterness, and citrus more to aroma than bitterness ?

Did u end up brewing this
Different chef, different kitchen, but I prefer red wheat to white in this style. Also, I think the Pilsen malt can be subbed out with American 2 row. This way I can shorten the boil with no DMS issues.
Hopping can be all over the place but I prefer a softer, fruity hop like Amarillo or even Mosaic if used post boil.
I'm curious to hear how yours came out.
Cheers
Brian

Did u end up brewing this
Different chef, different kitchen, but I prefer red wheat to white in this style. Also, I think the Pilsen malt can be subbed out with American 2 row. This way I can shorten the boil with no DMS issues.
Hopping can be all over the place but I prefer a softer, fruity hop like Amarillo or even Mosaic if used post boil.
I'm curious to hear how yours came out.
Cheers
Brian

I use pilsner for almost all of my base malt. I have never had any issues with DMS and I regularly conduct 45 minute boils...

READY TO DRINK .... its is really a boring style, that i could drink all in one shot, in this summer ... LOL ... :)

It became refreshing, with citrus aroma and flavor, with a little bitter in the end. One thing, that i want to improve is efficiency. In my batches, i am having in average of 60 %, i am trying to improve, but it seems that i am doing something wrong. it's stuck in this average. What tips could you guys give me, things to looking for, points that is most important that is impacting a good efficiency ?

upload_2019-7-20_11-12-49.png

60% percent does seem pretty low for all grain. Could you describe your process and equipment? Trust me, I am no expert, but here is my process and efficiency. I mash between 1.25 and 1.5 quarts per pound in a mash king 12 gallon mash tun, then do a batch sparge with remaining water volume. I am normally around 75%. I'm sure I could improve on this but, I am happy the way it is.
Have you done the iodine test to check for conversion?

Back