How are all your hops doing that you're growing?

20190506_123607.jpg
Cascade

20190506_123600.jpg

Crystal

Here's my hops. Not sure what kind they are, kinda don't care. I'm still going to brew some beer with them!

My grandmother passed away about 10 years ago and she had quite the green thumb. Her garden was huge and she was always out there planting, picking, weeding. Her and My grandfather lived on the shores of Eloika Lake in northeastern Washington. She didn't brew, but loved hops grew them in several places in her garden on trellis around the yard.

Last year I went out to their Cabin with my cousin, and found some of her old hops still growing, despite neglect of the garden. I took some home with me and potted them and brought them in for the winter. I kept them watered and they went dormant. In February, I took a peak and they had a dozen or so 2 foot shoots off of the rhizome, and in late March I brought them outside after our last frost.

I transplanted them into their own raised bed and trellis last weekend and sort of laid some of the shoots on the trellis. The trellis is about 7' tall. They're looking pretty happy. Even hooked up the sprinkler so they get their own supply.

56446528_10107904083056053_6300107614617337856_o.jpg
59419260_10107999152960203_202820802532343808_o.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing a great story... and I agree. It doesn’t matter what type of hops they are. They be a special part of any beer you brew with them.

Ps. Just keep good notes on bitterness, flavors and aromas they provide.

Thanks for sharing a great story... and I agree. It doesn’t matter what type of hops they are. They be a special part of any beer you brew with them.

Ps. Just keep good notes on bitterness, flavors and aromas they provide.
Thanks, It is a fun story to tell people that I have grandma's hops in my garden! I want to brew something she'd like, and bottle it and give it to all of our family. Might even try to source some Malt from the PNW. I already use Yeast from Imperial, so it could be 100% PNW grown and brewed beer.

Good thoughts on tasting notes. I think they're most likely Cascade hops.

Thanks, It is a fun story to tell people that I have grandma's hops in my garden! I want to brew something she'd like, and bottle it and give it to all of our family. Might even try to source some Malt from the PNW. I already use Yeast from Imperial, so it could be 100% PNW grown and brewed beer.

Good thoughts on tasting notes. I think they're most likely Cascade hops.
Can't remember the name offhand but there is a cooperative type of maltster in eastern wa area.

So, my Cascade hops have several shoots starting to pick up steam, plus the 2 bull bines. On the other hand, the crystal only has one new shoot and 2 bull bines, I am going to have to transplant soon, maybe this weekend, but so far I am worried about the Crystal.

Pics in a bit

Great ideah for a windbreak on the vege patch! They look happy and healthy. I bet you dont need to buy much hops with that plantation:)!
I wish...! I’m addicted to orders from Yakima Valley Hops for those citrus and fruit hops. Trust me, you will be swimming in hops in a couple years. They grow like weeds. :)

Truth! ^ I cannot keep mine trimmed back fast enough. I've taken a weed whacker and lawn mower to parts when they get extra unruly. I even cut rhizomes and roots this year. I threw a bunch of cuttings out on one of ditch embankments this spring. I need to check soon and see if any have maybe taken.

As are we. Quite a bit of hail here today.

Yes, a little damage to the bulls, but all should be good.

I have some really large pots, and picked up some perlite, good soil, and manure to mix together.

I am hoping that the Crystal will throw up some new shoots, it only seems to be growing from one end, and it is pressed up against the edge of the current pot. Getting it in the new one will give it some more room

Stripped just about everything in our yard and garden bare. Starting over now with tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, basically anything up and leafed out.

it's rained so much here I couldn't plant yet, I have some lettuce and squash but my garden is growing grass mostly :(

15595100936764395892701293901047.jpg

No hail here cross fingers, muggy and some warmer days so i have to train them every other day. The blue planter has some cascade i had to save from the weeds in the back of the garden.
They want to go up and i want them to follow the jute for a shade cover so we clash every day or so. BUT I have weapons, scissors, knives etc.
When they get weapons I am getting out the roundup!!

Back