any K-97 expereince?

I may be the odd one out on this one, but Wyeast 1007 is the best Kolsch yeast I have ever used. It's very clean and only slightly fruity and vinous, with a nice crisp finish. It's best at 55-58F for primary fermentation.

People get the wrong idea about the style, they believe they should be fruity. But examples from Germany are not fruity, there is a very slight fruitiness, which is different then what you get from a lager yeast like 34/70 or WLP830. People often mistake a good Kolsch for a lager. It should be moderately malty, have a firm but restrained bitterness, slight noble hop on the nose and flavor, with a nice crisp dry finish. The fruitiness has often been described as "implied".
Nice description, and I favor 1007 as well.

Either of them will work. For a Koelsch, I'd go with a Koelsch-specific yeast and K-97 isn't that. It's a great yeast for German ales and you could use it. A note on your grain bill: The Crystal/Biscuit idea is plain wrong for the style. The Pilsner/Vienna blend will work just fine.

Hello Nosybear, thanks for the input.

The Crystal/Biscuit idea is only to give little complexity.
Not for the style. But perhaps will be better to take off the crystal.

So I mast to decide between 1007 or 2565.

Thanks
Dimitris

I may be the odd one out on this one, but Wyeast 1007 is the best Kolsch yeast I have ever used. It's very clean and only slightly fruity and vinous, with a nice crisp finish. It's best at 55-58F for primary fermentation.

People get the wrong idea about the style, they believe they should be fruity. But examples from Germany are not fruity, there is a very slight fruitiness, which is different then what you get from a lager yeast like 34/70 or WLP830. People often mistake a good Kolsch for a lager. It should be moderately malty, have a firm but restrained bitterness, slight noble hop on the nose and flavor, with a nice crisp dry finish. The fruitiness has often been described as "implied".

Hello HighVoltageMan,
I din't like the big vinous taste / flavors on the beer.

Because I do not want intense aromas and wine tastes in beer, I do not know what to change:
the 1007 with 2565, or to avoid using Endeavour hops at dry hoping with the classic Cascade in the recipe.?
I want something different from the classic Hallertaur.

I don know if the Triskel / Cascade combo will be work nice, or the Triskel / Endeavour

Dimitris

In my reading you're brewing a blonde ale with very minimal esters and plenty of malt in the flavor profile. The trend seems to be that anything brewed with a German ale yeast is called a Kolsch even if it has a ton of Citra hops or Fruity Pebbles.

In my reading you're brewing a blonde ale with very minimal esters and plenty of malt in the flavor profile. The trend seems to be that anything brewed with a German ale yeast is called a Kolsch even if it has a ton of Citra hops or Fruity Pebbles.
Yep. Generations of Cologne brewers gyrate in their graves at some of the stuff called Koelsch. It's basically a Pilsner, made as an ale, with maybe a bit of wheat for body. I can see adding some Vienna but anything darker or sweeter than that and you're out of style. Now that's the BJCP purist in me. The experimentalist says brew it but then the BJCP nerd takes over and says, but please don't make me judge it as a Koelsch.

Hello HighVoltageMan,
I din't like the big vinous taste / flavors on the beer.

Because I do not want intense aromas and wine tastes in beer, I do not know what to change:
the 1007 with 2565, or to avoid using Endeavour hops at dry hoping with the classic Cascade in the recipe.?
I want something different from the classic Hallertaur.

I don know if the Triskel / Cascade combo will be work nice, or the Triskel / Endeavour

Dimitris
I would use any hop you like, don’t worry about it unless your going to compete, then stick with noble hops. As far as vinous flavors, they are very subtle if at all with 1007, 2565 is much more fruity and can get very slightly vinous.

1007 can also be used on cream ales, pale ales, IPA’s, alts and more. It’s a great yeast

Back