Keezer Build

thunderwagn

Trial Member
Reaction score
My keezer build is starting to take place. I've got my freezer, controller, a fan, and a few other odds and ends right now. I've got most everything else in my cart at kegconnection. I'm going all stainless from the get go. My collar will be constructed from 2x lumber. Most likely 2x6. I've got 3" shanks in my cart and according to my measurements, they should fit with approx 1/2" to spare. I'm second guessing my decision and thinking I may change to 4" shanks. If anyone can assure me that the 3" is indeed long enough, it would be much appreciated.

I have 4” shanks, you could get away with 3”, but not much room left. And my Keezer is built from 2x as well.

Edit: the tailpiece adds some length as well. Just be careful not to hit them when placing or pulling kegs.

52A288E3-F522-4C92-84F8-77BEA311D1EB.jpeg

Last edited:
I have 4” shanks, you could get away with 3”, but not much room left. And my Keezer is built from 2x as well.

Edit: the tailpiece adds some length as well. Just be careful not to hit them when placing or pulling kegs.

View attachment 6088

Thanks @Mase. You actually touched on what I considered to be an "issue" with longer than needed shanks. Obstacles. I don't want to be dodging things when lifting full, heavy kegs. I did end up going with the 3". I can make them work.
Excitement is setting in. I've ordered all my gear. Not much from my current set up will transfer over into the new keez except for the gas and regulator.

They make 90 degree downward tail-pieces but I just haven’t had the need to change them out yet. Keep us posted on the build

My keezer build is starting to take place. I've got my freezer, controller, a fan, and a few other odds and ends right now. I've got most everything else in my cart at kegconnection. I'm going all stainless from the get go. My collar will be constructed from 2x lumber. Most likely 2x6. I've got 3" shanks in my cart and according to my measurements, they should fit with approx 1/2" to spare. I'm second guessing my decision and thinking I may change to 4" shanks. If anyone can assure me that the 3" is indeed long enough, it would be much appreciated.
Just a note, my freezer lid matched perfectly with hinge screws with 2x4. The lower holes on hinges matched with upper set with upper set going into the wood collar. No need for extra spacing as long as plenty of room for kegs with lines.
Pretty sure my shanks are 3in. and fit fine.
And don't scatter the taps across the front of the keezer, they get bumped when setting kegs in. Keep them gathered a few inches apart so you can work around them. Shorter drip tray needed this way too.

Just a note, my freezer lid matched perfectly with hinge screws with 2x4. The lower holes on hinges matched with upper set with upper set going into the wood collar. No need for extra spacing as long as plenty of room for kegs with lines.
And don't scatter the taps across the front of the keezer, they get bumped when setting kegs in. Keep them gathered a few inches apart so you can work around them. Shorter drip tray needed this way too.
Good advice, and on the end with the compressor

Thanks for the great info. I don't think I've got the option of using 2x4. My hinges are pretty large. I would like the extra height also to bring the taps up a bit. I plan on using a fan to (hopefully) maintain a consistent temp top and bottom.

Thanks for the great info. I don't think I've got the option of using 2x4. My hinges are pretty large. I would like the extra height also to bring the taps up a bit. I plan on using a fan to (hopefully) maintain a consistent temp top and bottom.
The taller the keezer the higher you have to lift the kegs to get them in there and slid down in between lines. A fan I think would be a good thing. Should help with condensation too. It's on my to-do list.

Making progress. Using 2x10 for the collar. Also, I really wanted to chalkboard paint the entire unit, but decided my freezer is pushing 20 yrs old. At this point I'm kinda taking a minimalist approach as I'm not sure how much life she's got left in her. I did decide to just chalkboard paint the lid. Figured it was easy enough.
20190528_101218.jpg
20190528_152928.jpg
20190528_142926.jpg
20190529_125212.jpg

Tis exactly the way I did mine. I keep a running list on the chalkboard of what we brewed this year. Looking sweet

You are moving right along! It will be full of beer before Friday night!

Getting there. All the guts showed up today. I never minded using my picnic taps and they always flowed nice for me, but super pumped to have tons of room, and no more opening the door everytime you want to pour a beer. For faucets I went with the CMB v3s. All stainless throughout. Stock handles for now. I'm pulling dust bunnies outta my pockets, and the stock ones will pull just fine.
And hopefully the chalkboard lid will be worth the pain in the ass it was.
20190529_184815.jpg

20190529_184842.jpg

20190529_190438.jpg

20190529_190855.jpg
20190529_190850.jpg

I know what you mean with plumbing. It can get downright pricy. Put it on the card, the "accountant" won't see it for a couple of weeks!:rolleyes:

Got a drip tray figured out yet?

Got a drip tray figured out yet?
I'm going to get a 14" stainless I think. A 12 would work, but I'd like a bit of overage on each end. I'm not real certain on attachment yet. Probably L brackets and magnets...

Mine hangs from the collar with some wood and a couple of L brackets.
IMAG0197.jpg

Works well.
19x4 inch drip tray $16 at barproducts.com

That looks really nice. And I like the price!

Back