Cheap DIPA?

I've been buying ingredients in Bulk especially whenever I'm making NEIPA's or anything hoppy. Usually I'll buy a pound of each hop that I'll need and I can use those for about four 5 gallon batches before I'm out. Yakima Valley Hops or more beer will have deals where I have gotten hops for less than 80 cents an ounce depending on the kind of hop. When you buy 2 row in bulk, it drops it down to 84 cents/lb, again depending.

Buying in bulk will certainly help, though the upfront cost of a pound of each of the hops for that recipe would be quite high (but it would give you multiple batches). Another approach would be to build a recipe around hops that are less expensive to begin with. Hops like Cascade and Centennial can often be found for less than $10 per pound when vendors like HopsDirect are liquidating last years crop

Narrow down your hop requirements to several varieties that you can use a lot of and buy in bulk. What you'll find is that clone recipes may specify certain hops that may or may not be part of the actual brewery recipe. Do some research and simplify the hop schedule. Yakima Valley has a number of good hops for $7/lb right now. And several others at $10/lb.
The best hops for doing the heavy lifting in a DIPA are varieties like Centennial, Columbus/CTZ, Chinook and those are usually pretty cheap. Then there's a level of hops with more specific character like Amarillo, Simcoe, etc that cost a little more. Then there are the hops that you could think of as "featured" hops like Citra and Mosaic that add usually run a little over $20 a pound. There are a lot of new varieties that share a lot of characteristics with more established and familiar hops and sometimes show up on sale.
My last DIPA had 25 ounces of hops (10 gallon batch) that were almost all Centennial, Columbus and Amarillo which I always keep on hand in good quantity and a 4-ounce dose of Mosaic, also on hand but usually used more sparingly because of price, and a 2-ounce packet of Citra Cryo that I just wanted to try out. Total for hops was around $30 when I figure cost per ounce and add in shipping. That's for 10 gallons of beer that was as good as anything you'd get at a bottle shop for 3-4 bucks or more per pint.

Narrow down your hop requirements to several varieties that you can use a lot of and buy in bulk. What you'll find is that clone recipes may specify certain hops that may or may not be part of the actual brewery recipe. Do some research and simplify the hop schedule. Yakima Valley has a number of good hops for $7/lb right now. And several others at $10/lb.
The best hops for doing the heavy lifting in a DIPA are varieties like Centennial, Columbus/CTZ, Chinook and those are usually pretty cheap. Then there's a level of hops with more specific character like Amarillo, Simcoe, etc that cost a little more. Then there are the hops that you could think of as "featured" hops like Citra and Mosaic that add usually run a little over $20 a pound. There are a lot of new varieties that share a lot of characteristics with more established and familiar hops and sometimes show up on sale.
My last DIPA had 25 ounces of hops (10 gallon batch) that were almost all Centennial, Columbus and Amarillo which I always keep on hand in good quantity and a 4-ounce dose of Mosaic, also on hand but usually used more sparingly because of price, and a 2-ounce packet of Citra Cryo that I just wanted to try out. Total for hops was around $30 when I figure cost per ounce and add in shipping. That's for 10 gallons of beer that was as good as anything you'd get at a bottle shop for 3-4 bucks or more per pint.

As suggested here - Yes I already try to buy hops 1 pound at a time when it makes sense. I actually have a lot of centennial and columbus waiting around. Guess I'll need to just find a recipe that's got a cheaper hop schedule, that one was just on the top 10 so I knew it had to taste good.

Reactions: J A
that one was just on the top 10 so I knew it had to taste good.
Top 10? Just curious whose rating that is. When I search on that recipe in the data base it doesn't seem to have been brewed or rated.
There are a lot of different hop schedules for clones of that beer. Your Centennial and Columbus combo is included in most of them and is a great place to start. Apollo, Simcoe and Amarillo are mentioned in a lot of them. Seems to me if you have a good supply of C-hops and can snag a bag of Simcoa and Amarillo at a decent price, you'd be well on your way to plenty of batches of a decent clone.
Good luck with it. ;)

I can't figure why they'd be considered "top 10". None of them appear to have been brewed or rated. The site moderators are the only ones who would know what sort of criteria recipes have to meet to be included, I guess.
If you filter the data base search by style and method, there are dozens of recipes that have been brewed many times and have very high ratings. Those are the recipes I trust. You can also filter by "award winning" to narrow down to beers that have done well in competition.

Just a quick glance looks like top 10 in views.
Look at some of the other recipes that come up in the data base search. Not even close to the top number of views.

Back