A bet NE IPA

By adding the 1.5 flaked products as a late boil addition, you'll definitely get hazyness, but much of the hazyness should come from yeast, post boil hop additions and dry hopping. You may want to change out the yeast, add a whirlpool addition or 2 and do multiple rounds of dry hopping.
Bet it'll make Beer!
Good Luck,
Brian

Huell Melon is very subtle, it'll get lost in that hop bill. I'd go with something a lot stronger in flavor but complementary to the other hops you've chosen.

I was told that a true NEIPA has no boil additions, all whirlpool, and dry hop additions. My last batch was a NEIPA. I followed this advice. It turned out to be the best brew I have ever brewed.

Personally I would drop the IBUs closer to 45 and move all kettle additions to the end of the boil/dry hop. You're going to need more hops if you want to hit that style. As mentioned Melon is a pretty subtle hop and will get lost when used with equal amounts of Mosaic.

but much of the hazyness should come from yeast,
I've talked to pro brewers who have dissuaded me of that notion. There may be some advantage to using a less flocculent yeast but it's not that the yeast should necessarily stay in suspension as it would in a Hefeweizen or a Belgian Wit but rather that the hop compounds are able to stay in suspension instead of being stripped away as the yeast drops out. I had a light gravity blonde ale go from fairly clear to considerably more cloudy just by adding a substantial dry hop addition during a week of cold-aging before kegging.
It might be very interesting to do a split batch with a highly floculent yeast like S-04 and a much slower one and see how much each changed respectively regarding dry-hopping additions and judge the effect on the final product.

I've talked to pro brewers who have dissuaded me of that notion. There may be some advantage to using a less flocculent yeast but it's not that the yeast should necessarily stay in suspension as it would in a Hefeweizen or a Belgian Wit but rather that the hop compounds are able to stay in suspension instead of being stripped away as the yeast drops out. I had a light gravity blonde ale go from fairly clear to considerably more cloudy just by adding a substantial dry hop addition during a week of cold-aging before kegging.
It might be very interesting to do a split batch with a highly floculent yeast like S-04 and a much slower one and see how much each changed respectively regarding dry-hopping additions and judge the effect on the final product.
Second.... The haze should be from hop compounds, not yeast. Depending on the strain, I perceive yeast as a very harsh bitter flavor, not what I'd want in a NEIPA.

The rest of the sentence said " but much of the hazyness should come from yeast, post boil hop additions and dry hopping"
It's a combination of things that'll lead to the hazyness.
There's a lot of conservation around how to achieve the desired results.
Cheers,
Brian

There's a lot of conservation around how to achieve the desired results.
I did a nice "session" NEIPA, aka Hazy Pale, with a witbier grist (Pilsner, wheat, unmalted wheat, flaked oats)and S-33 dry yeast which is supposed to Belgian but really acts more English. It's not a hard floculator but it'll clear reasonably well. Aside some basic bittering, I did only dry-hop additions and added all hops (El Dorado, Simcoe, Mosaic) while fermentation was active. Turned out to be a nice hazy golden color and was juicy as all get-out.
There's a lot that adds to the haziness and I think the rich mouthfeel is a big part of the allure of this style too.

Last edited:
I updated the recipe again I know cant make my mind up:rolleyes: but I added more hops and falconers flight and im going to split the dry hop to during fermentation and after

Last edited:
I updated the recipe again I know cant make my mind up:rolleyes: but I added more hop and falconers flight and im going to spit the dry hop to during fermentation and after
Go with the force Luke;)

just finished brewing great hop smell slightly higher gravity than expected in 2 days adding first dry hop addition

so after a crazy fermentation I moved the neipa from the primary to secondairy fermenter for one last dryhop did my hydrometer reading and its at its final gravity a smell of pineapple mango and passionfruit and tastes like it too cant wait to bottle also its very hazy

Last edited:

Back