White IPA - Fermentation Stalled?

Edinbrewer

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m a relative novice to brewing but wanted to try something slightly more challenging. I used 4kg of Pale Malt and 2kg of Wheat to try and make something approaching a White IPA. I used a liquid yeast from White Labs - Belgian Wit Yeast. Fermentation was normal and steadily gurgled away (almost constantly) for 24 hrs or more - then STOPPED. Foam has disappeared from the top and it appears to have stalled? Is this normal for a wheat beer? I have tried gently swirling/agitating the bucket to help it along but so far to no avail....
Can anyone help me or just give me some advice?

Cheers, Murray

Have you taken gravity readings? It may just be done quickly.

I did take a reading yesterday and it has certainly 'motored along from OG' ~ I didn't think it would be Finished already!? I'll take another and check. Can it REALLY be Finished fermenting after 2 days? Maybe the White Labs Yeast is just very efficient?

What was you OG and FG Readings and yeast used this will help.

Hi,

I’m a relative novice to brewing but wanted to try something slightly more challenging. I used 4kg of Pale Malt and 2kg of Wheat to try and make something approaching a White IPA. I used a liquid yeast from White Labs - Belgian Wit Yeast. Fermentation was normal and steadily gurgled away (almost constantly) for 24 hrs or more - then STOPPED. Foam has disappeared from the top and it appears to have stalled? Is this normal for a wheat beer? I have tried gently swirling/agitating the bucket to help it along but so far to no avail....
Can anyone help me or just give me some advice?

Cheers, Murray
Always gravitate toward the easiest explanation and in this case, the easiest explanation is that the fermentation is done. Check it with either a refractometer or hydrometer and if it no longer changes gravity, it's done.

Great. Thanks. I'll take a hydrometer reading tomorrow. It's late here now, I'm off to bed.... Appreciate the feedback and I'll let you know.

Cheers

Depending on temp, it could easily be done fermenting a low-gravity beer. What may very well happen is that it'll get most of the way done and then tick down a few more degrees over a little more time. It's not "stalled" unless your measured gravity is much higher than the anticipated FG. Belgian yeasts are pretty notorious for stalling and re-starting after a week or more.

Depending on temp, it could easily be done fermenting a low-gravity beer. What may very well happen is that it'll get most of the way done and then tick down a few more degrees over a little more time. It's not "stalled" unless your measured gravity is much higher than the anticipated FG. Belgian yeasts are pretty notorious for stalling and re-starting after a week or more.
Excellent. I did not know that about Belgian yeasts. It has slowed significantly and is, as you say just ticking along. FG around 1010 already. Cheers

I'd be happy with that FG with that yeast. Check again in a couple of days and if it's the same it's ready for packaging.

It's not stalled, it's just fast. The Wit yeast I use doesn't tend to re-start but some of the strains might do so. I suspect that you've got a finished beer. If you let it sit for 2 weeks at room temp it might go lower but chances are, it won't move from where it is.

Last edited:
1.010 sounds done or just about. Some yeasts are super fast sometimes. I used Muntons dry yeast once and it finished in 1 day. I never even saw the krausen. But the gravity had dropped to where it should have.

Back