I visited a brewery today!

Haha. Downtown town. I guess I was a bit tuned!
Here's some of the beverages consumed that got me to such a state:
20190104_154848-1024x1365.jpg
This was a really nice breakfast type stout. Very well done.
20190104_161225-1024x1365.jpg
A hazy Ipa. It was decent, but I'm ready for the haze craze to end.
20190104_164934-1024x1365.jpg
A brut Ipa that was absolutely horrible in just about every way.
20190104_164955-1024x1365.jpg
A very tasty wheat that really hit the spot.
20190104_174738-1024x1365.jpg
Imperial Red Ipa. A favorite style and this one wasn't bad!
20190104_175726-1024x1365.jpg
And to end my outing, although it was a guest tapping, they just tapped a Vanilla Yeti Imperial Stout which is a favorite. I'm a huge Yeti fan! I Believe!

Last edited:
See you didn't end up drinking the Brut IPA there Thunder in that wheat beer shot it's unconsumed in the background? I'd call that wheat a blushing wheat beer with that warm orange blush.

See you didn't end up drinking the Brut IPA there Thunder in that wheat beer shot it's unconsumed in the background? I'd call that wheat a blushing wheat beer with that warm orange blush.

I'm not a brut Ipa fan, but I know enough and can still tell when a beer just plain sucks. You can probably tell how oxidized it was from the brownish color alone, and that was just part of the problem. It tasted old and medicinal. Very disappointing.
The wheat however was delicious as it always is.

Me and some buddies did a light brewery crawl to Red Deer on Saturday and hit up 5 breweries.

Snake Lake
Undercurrent
Troubled Monk
Belly Hop
Sawback

Only did a flight at each but it was a good time. Had to drive home afterward.

GearHouse Brewery in Chambersburg PA was hopping last night during the town's annual Icefest...a chance for all the local businesses to get the local culinary ice carving artists build them a 2 foot by 4 foot creation being anything from a pineapple for a real estate company to a toilet bowl for a plumber to a 7 foot tall scissor lift that JLG sponsored.....oh yeah..the brewery....Good beer...good food...a very unorganized operation but they made up for it in the beer and the food. You walk into a queue line where you are not sure if it's for tables, beer or what and when you put in your order, they ask where you're sitting. Sitting?? Hell, I haven't figured out what I'm eating let alone drinking!

The wife had the basic cider which she said was perfect, her friend had a red ale that she said was really good but not as good as my porter..she's so kind, and I had their porter which on reading that they put this together with 9 malts and 3 different hops, all I can say is that it was good enough for 2 pints but I couldn't for the life of me tell you what any one of those malts or hops were....what do the snobby beer reviewers call that? Complex?

They do brew on site and they do have a lot of that open to the dining space from the little I saw but I didn't get a chance to poke around and talk to any of the brewers. I will have to go back there but it's gonna be on a slow day.

Went to Pearl Street Grill and Brew Pub, had the "Teaser" which is a flight, 10 two oz glasses. All were very good, dinner was great too. Walking distance to Key Bank Center, just setting in to watch The Buffalo Sabres take on the Carolina Hurricanes. I am a Leaf fan, but will be cheering for the Home squad tonight.
IMG_20190207_1706183~(1).jpg
IMG_20190207_1833402.jpg

IMG_20190207_1833402.jpg

Went to Pearl Street Grill and Brew Pub, had the "Teaser" which is a flight, 10 two oz glasses. All were very good, dinner was great too. Walking distance to Key Bank Center, just setting in to watch The Buffalo Sabres take on the Carolina Hurricanes. I am a Leaf fan, but will be cheering for the Home squad tonight.
View attachment 5111 View attachment 5110
View attachment 5110
Looks like a very nice evening out Craigerrr!

Buffalo needs all the cheering it can get.

The natives were restless last night, very little patience for their team. Hurricanes scored 2 in the third to make it 5-3, thousands of fans left with 5 minutes to go. If they listened in their cars they would have heard the game getting tied up and going to an exciting overtime...

Wait, I think the Oilers need more cheering than the Buffalo's dudeo_O

A return trip to Chambersburg yesterday with the wife to check out the burg's other brewery Roy Pitz Brewing Company.

I liked the tucked away, post industrial brick and post joint, you know the genres, your typical brew pub in an old warehouse of some sort or places made to look that way, this place is the real deal. They brew downstairs in the basement and have the bar upstairs. Their beer selection had a lot of sours on it along with your other expected brews and they also do hard stuff as there was a separate cocktail menu.

Lunch was the wife's chick centric sandwich....brie, apples and chicken and a cider that she said was too dry for her taste but commented on the sandwich even this morning....I liked the cider since it tasted like the winey stuff I made. I had a Rueben with the house ale but skipped the Russian dressing for their house mustard that they make with some of their IPA. This stuff was awesome...it had the consistency of LME, looked like apple butter and was an incredible sweet play off the sour of the kraut and the salt of the corn beef.

Great food, great service and a trip to the basement with our waitress where I found out that these guys (2 grade school buddies so says the story on the back of the menu) gotta be doing something right since they have a place in Philadelphia as well. I took home a growler full of their coffee stout to boot!

20190209_151756.jpeg

awesome brain stuffed experience learning about what you can do with their yeast.

Cool.....but ….ahhhh.....so....brewing and ???? Baking?? Wine?? Cider??

Inquiring brewers want to know!

Cool.....but ….ahhhh.....so....brewing and ???? Baking?? Wine?? Cider??

Inquiring brewers want to know!
well, their Norwegian stuff; HotHead, Voss, and Hornindal can ferment some awesome beers at 95ºF. The Hornindal is tolerant up to 16% alcohol and the folks at Omega made just that, a 16% Barleywine fermented at 94ºF that finished fermenting in a stupid amount of time, like 36 hours.

And Omega has been able to force yeasts to breed with other yeasts, (as opposed to yeast being asexual reproducers). They took Belgian Saison (DuPont strain which typically stalls at 1.030) and made it breed with French Saison, which yielded something like 220 unique baby yeast cells. At this point they try out the cells and determine which makes desirable flavors, and the one they chose has all the good flavors of a Belgian Saison yeast but with the attenuation of French Saison, the result is called Saisonstein's Monster. The newest one is called Gulo Ale and it's a hybrid of Irish Ale and French Saison. Crazy stuff.

Cambridge, Ontario's newest craft brewery, opened March 15th, good folks, and very good beer.
A NEIPA, a dark lager, an oatmeal stout, a low ABV cream ale, and 6.7 Heller Bock. They also have 3 guest taps.
Cheers
IMG_20190412_1709122~(1).jpg
IMG_20190412_1709122~(1).jpg
IMG_20190412_1712159~(1).jpg

I see what looks like 3 stout or nitro faucets on the right side, what is that crazy long faucet on the left?

edit. is it a ball valve with a long spout drilled into it? water valve?

Yes they currently offer their cream ale and their stout on nitro, I am pretty certain that the ball valve and tube on the left are to purge growlers etc. With C02

Back