Orsonhornbeam

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is an obvious question, but I'm trying to wrap my head around this.

All the resources I've read say that Star San is a completely safe, no rinse sanitizer.

I'm trying to convince myself that this noxious, caustic, toxic chemical (that requires poison control center assistance if it contacts your skin) is perfectly edible when dry.

My standard sanitizing procedure is using 90% isopropyl alcohol to wipe surfaces and coat carboy interiors, with boiling water inside the carboys, followed by 12 hours on a heat duct to dry.

Is there any advantage to switch to Star San? Or am I good the way I've been?

First off, Starsan at the proper dilution level, is not toxic It's also the opposite of caustic. It's an acid based sanitizer, and about as safe as anything out there. You don't even need to let it dry. I would only advise switching to Starsan if you want a brewery specific sanitizer that works extremely well and value your time. If you're happy using archaic methods and have nothing better to occupy your time, by all means, continue as you are.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to homebrewing. I helped my late father vint some homemade wine in the past, but beyond that, I'm totally inexperienced. I suppose it just seemed counterintuitive to me in my ignorance. No need for the condescending attitude.

So, to be clear, when diluted to a 1:640 ratio, Star San is actually edible?

I'm a complete novice when it comes to homebrewing. I helped my late father vint some homemade wine in the past, but beyond that, I'm totally inexperienced. I suppose it just seemed counterintuitive to me in my ignorance. No need for the condescending attitude.

So, to be clear, when diluted to a 1:640 ratio, Star San is actually edible?

I believe my response followed the vein of your post. If you consider that an attitude, so be it.. And yes, people actually drink it to illustrate how safe it is.

Thank you for the information, sans the attitude. I will switch to using Star San, 100% of the internet can't really be wrong.

Good choice. And BTW, welcome to the forum.

One of the milk the funk guys mentioned it is detrimental to lacto and sacc.

Thank you for the information, sans the attitude. I will switch to using Star San, 100% of the internet can't really be wrong.
Sometimes I think my beer is more acidic than starsan not so though as starsan should come in at around 2ph beer is another 2 PH higher around 4.2 ish.

@Orsonhornbeam
Glad to hear you'll switch. You're probably introducing more bacteria by placing on a heat vent for 12 hours than you are ridding by sanitizing in the first place. Drip dry would be better where you are not forcing constant new air into the wet-ready-to-absorb sides of your carboy, at least in my opinion.
That said, take that as constructional, I have never used isopropyl alcohol so I could be wrong.
And yes, starsan is completely safe at the appropriate levels. Maintain less than 3pH I believe. Can be reused also, so don't just "toss" it each time. I am wasteful with my spray bottle, but re-use large quantities regularly.
No reason to wait for or remove foam from it from your carboys, will not hurt in anyway, health or taste.

Welcome aboard!

You can also use iodophore which is an iodine based sanitizer. It is also no rinse when used at the specified dilution. It foams less than star San.

Welcome in Orson...you'll find the advice dispensed here is on target as you are tapping in to decades of, if not centuries of, collective wisdom.

Yeah...1,000,000 home brewers can't be wrong! Star San is great stuff and can even be used around the kitchen safer than bleach or ammonia products! Read the directions or the MSHD sheet.

Can be reused also, so don't just "toss" it each time. I am wasteful with my spray bottle, but re-use large quantities regularly.

I've read that it is only good for 48 hours once mixed. After 48 hours its ability to sanitize declines. If someone else could comment on this that would be very helpful.

I've read that it is only good for 48 hours once mixed. After 48 hours its ability to sanitize declines. If someone else could comment on this that would be very helpful.
As long as the pH is in range, it’s still viable. I generally make a fresh batch every brewday (for cleaning purposes) and keep it in spray bottles until the next brewday (2-3 weeks)

If you mix it with distilled or RO water it lasts for months. As long as the pH is 3.0 or below it's effective. Going by memory on the pH.

Welcome Orson, I have only ever used starsan, and embrace the phrase "don't fear the foam". I am sure that Bob was not meaning to be condescending, Bob's a good guy, and has always been very helpful to me.

I usually make a batch when cleaning my carboy or my keg. I leave a little in the carboy, plug it and store it. I do the same for my kegs and then pressurize them for storing. I use long cheap plastic window box planters for sanitizing long tools like auto syphons and wine thieves. I pour it back into a gallon jug to save it. My wife likes to use it to wipe down kitchen counters. . .

I have used Star San for a long time.
It's convenient and guaranteed.
Even it will be some flavours that I can't describe when you mix it with water, but it will be disappear after a few minutes later.

Welcome Orson, I have only ever used starsan, and embrace the phrase "don't fear the foam". I am sure that Bob was not meaning to be condescending, Bob's a good guy, and has always been very helpful to me.

Thanks for the kind words Craig.
When it appears that someone has tried to inject some dry wit into a post, when they could have just asked a simple question, I often will respond in kind. If that's condescending, I plead guilty.
You don't usually see that here, because most of the posts are straight to the point.

I hear ya buddy, sometimes we read things the wrong way from the typed words too. My wit is typically of the double extra dry type, sometimes gets me in trouble, ah well!

Back