Hurricane ale for Crawfish Boil

BilltownBrewingCo

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm brewing a batch for a Crawfish boil were going to do in a few months. Everyone likes to drink hurricanes with their mud bugs, I'm thinking of doing a fruit beer that is inspired by the passionfruit and orange rum cocktail.

Not sure what to do for a base beer here. Wheat is common for fruits, but I've never used passionfruit or orange to flavor a beer.

Haha, really just looking for where to start!

Thoughts?

Either an American wheat or just a blond ale should work. German wheat could work, if you don't mind some banana or clove with your fruit.
Either use real fruit or find a high quality flavoring for the fruit... Cheap ones most lhbs sell will taste like cough syrup.

American Wheat's about the most neutral palette to layer flavors on. And add me to Hogarthe's comment as well: Use fruit or high-quality flavoring. Use orange zest - most of the flavor's there. I've never worked with passionfruit.

Any ale yeast will do if you want to lean heavy on the fruit flavors. Nosy's suggestion of starting with an American Wheat yeast is a good one. I'd consider a Belgian Wit yeast because it would an an interesting dimension. Don't be shy with the hops and double down on the tropicals with some Citra, Mozaic, Azzaca, etc to get extra mileage out of your fruit additions. Simple nectar added in secondary and allowed to ferment out will give you plenty of fruit flavor.
Sort of has me thinking about what to do for a good addition to my July 4th party tap lineup. ;)

Any clean ale yeast, real fruit or concentrate, and just a thought, spiced rum maybe?
Also could be done with a Saison yeast for an interesting twist.

spiced rum maybe?
Good call! I was thinking of Wit yeast to get a little bite in there but that would do just fine. I think I've found my July 4th Party Panty-Dropper beer! :D :D :D

Okay...I know that's really sexist and that concepts like that are the very reason there has to be a #metoo movement.
But...in all seriousness...the only one that's likely to be dropping their pants at one of my blow-out parties is me. :D :D :D :D

I've done a passion fruit saison years back where I scored 2 full boxes of over ripe passion fruit on the cheap from local markets I had a brewers moment where I though I'm.gunna brew something with them. I think it took an hour or more cutting open and scooping out all that passionfruit pulp. The saison turned out great from memory I used Galaxy as the complimentary hop to enhance passion fruit flavour. I remember mum in law loved it! The passion fruit smell really shone through.

But it did have a truck load of passionfruit too exy if you can't sorce em on the cheap.

Here's recipie for pourousal https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/451183/passion-fruit-saison

Paints a picture, doesn't it? :D :D

20190309_160621_resized(1).jpg

One of my favorite posters in beer room! A Good beer too!;)

I really regret getting off on this tangent...nothing good can come of it. :oops:

Back