MASH Temp increases during BIAB Mash?

E-ROC

Trial Member
Reaction score
As a BIAB brewer (10+ batches), I'm mashing full volumes in my 10 gallon kettle. I heat my water/wort on a propane burner (Edelmetall) I've noticed that my mash temp actually increases during the 60 min mash from time to time.

Today I heated 8.5 gallons of strike water to 157F (per Beersmith). I shut the heat off and then used a digital liquid thermometer and stirred the water vigorously up and down and all around for 30 second to ensure no hot/cold pockets. I hit 157F, mashed in thoroughly, (about 12lbs of grain) and then again stirred vigorously for 30+ seconds. Mash temp came in at 152F. Boom! Wrapped the kettle in two blankets. 30 min later I checked my mash temp after stirring again thoroughly and I was at 153.7F. At 60 Min I was still at 153F. I am wondering if I am getting residual heat from my burner that is continuing to heat the mash after the burner is turned off.

I've not read anything about this in all my research and learning about BIAB. Anyone dealt with this, have insight into the cause, or have solution on how to navigate in Beersmith for future batches?

Sounds like your temps are staying rock solid to me. I'd be just fine with those temps. Your fluctuation is minimal. That's just my opinion.

As a BIAB brewer (10+ batches), I'm mashing full volumes in my 10 gallon kettle. I heat my water/wort on a propane burner (Edelmetall) I've noticed that my mash temp actually increases during the 60 min mash from time to time.

Today I heated 8.5 gallons of strike water to 157F (per Beersmith). I shut the heat off and then used a digital liquid thermometer and stirred the water vigorously up and down and all around for 30 second to ensure no hot/cold pockets. I hit 157F, mashed in thoroughly, (about 12lbs of grain) and then again stirred vigorously for 30+ seconds. Mash temp came in at 152F. Boom! Wrapped the kettle in two blankets. 30 min later I checked my mash temp after stirring again thoroughly and I was at 153.7F. At 60 Min I was still at 153F. I am wondering if I am getting residual heat from my burner that is continuing to heat the mash after the burner is turned off.

I've not read anything about this in all my research and learning about BIAB. Anyone dealt with this, have insight into the cause, or have solution on how to navigate in Beersmith for future batches?
Yeah it happened to me using a keggle on burner I found I had to cut heat 2 degrees before desired temp as there was a little lag in heating. But as thunder said that's pretty good no big drop in mash temp count this as a win. After more brews you'll know this is going to happen so you can cut heat just a smidgen earlier for expected delayed rise in mash temp.

Yeah it happened to me using a keggle on burner I found I had to cut heat 2 degrees before desired temp as there was a little lag in heating. But as thunder said that's pretty good no big drop in mash temp count this as a win. After more brews you'll know this is going to happen so you can cut heat just a smidgen earlier for expected delayed rise in mash temp.

Thanks for the feedback trialben. yeah. it does seem like cutting heat just a touch earlier should do it.

Back