Total Mash Volume

Bracken

Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m new to Brewer’s Friend. I searched the forums and couldn’t find this answer. I apologize if I missed it.

Did ‘Total Mash Volume’ ever get added to the software? Reference this thread from 2017.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/biab-total-mash-volume-needed.6498/

Really hoping I don’t have to bounce out to the BIAB calculator to verify if my equipment can handle the water and grain. Thanks in advance for your help!

The Mash Guidelines section (beneath the fermentables on most screens) in the recipe calculator has a Total Mash and Total Sparge volume at the bottom of the section. That what you're looking for?

The water requirements section in the Brew Session will tell you if you've exceeded your mash tun. It requires an accurate profile set up entry.

Excellent. Thank you for your replies. I'll dial-in my profile setup.

Learning something every day.... That feature will come in handy for calculating decoctions!

Reactions: J A
The water requirements section in the Brew Session will tell you if you've exceeded your mash tun. It requires an accurate profile set up entry.
I have my mash tun volume accurately set in my equipment profile. What I'm hoping to see, when I build a recipe, is estimated water + mash volume for total mash volume. That way I know if my batch volume needs to be adjusted if I exceed my mash tun volume (I do BIAB). During the Brew Sessions, as you described, I see total mash water needed, but not total mash volume. Am I missing something?

Reactions: J A
If it doesn't exceed the mash tun volume, it won't show anything out of the ordinary. Try increasing water volume to an amount that's obviously too much for your mash tun, go to "edit" and "rebuild brew session" and you'll see that there's a message in the water requirements section that says you've exceeded your mash tun volume.

When I did BIAB I had one brew day when I came close to not having enough room, so I get your question. I have a 12.5 gallon kettle, and was brewing 5-6 gallon batches. I believe that rule of thumb is for your "usable kettle volume" should be at least double you batch size. When I say usable, I mean that you can't use all 12.5 Gallons of a 12.5 gallon kettle, you need some space too. Experience is the best teacher, if you are doing 5 Gallon batches, and your kettle is bigger than 10 gallons you should be okay for most brews.
Hope this helps

Back