Honey in the grain bill?

Ward Chillington

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Silly question but....if you use some given pounds of honey in a recipe, should it be considered in your mash and sparge schedules?? In other words, if I am adding 2 pounds of honey into the recipe and I have 10 pounds of malt, am I mashing and sparging for 10 pounds or 12 pounds in my water calculations?

I've always added the honey in the kettle, not the mash. So the mash and sparge water stayed the same as if I were not using honey.

A recent brew I did had 1# of honey, which I added at 10 minutes left in the boil. I just compared the quick water requirements with and without the honey. The calculator takes the volume of the honey into account. When I took the honey out of the grain bill the water volume increased slightly.

Mash is just malt, not kettle adjuncts. I can't think of any reason you'd add honey to the mash tun.
Ingredients will be identified as mashed or not mashed in their ingredient profile and also if you check "late addition" in the ingredient box of the editor before using the "Brew" function to make a brew session, the mash calculator in the brew session will reflect only the grain in the grist for mash and sparge water volumes and ignore the honey.

Mash is just malt, not kettle adjuncts. I can't think of any reason you'd add honey to the mash tun

Yeah...got that and don't make that mess! No....no honey in the tun....BUT I think you answered it below,

Ingredients will be identified as mashed or not mashed in their ingredient profile

But remember....if you "Ignore the honey", she might not get you that new 16 gallon stainless steel Kettle you wanted ! :D:D:D

Thanks folks...I'll be here all week....or should I say "Bee"??

^^^Yeah...that. :) ^^^
Personally, if I use honey I put it in the fermenter after krausen starts to drop. If it's a new jar, I'll dump it right in. If it's bulk or in a jar that's been around a while, I'll make some accomodation for sanitizing/sterizing.

Yeah...got that and don't make that mess! No....no honey in the tun....BUT I think you answered it below,

But remember....if you "Ignore the honey", she might not get you that new 16 gallon stainless steel Kettle you wanted ! :D:D:D

Thanks folks...I'll be here all week....or should I say "Bee"??

I think we need a groan button instead of the like one.

I think we need a groan button instead of the like one.
Agreed. And I agree with JA as well: If you put honey in the boil, you may as well just add table sugar. That said, you likely want to sanitize the honey, which means either doing it with chemicals - metabisulfite - or heat. You can heat the honey to 170 degrees - I generally thin it with some water before doing so - hold it there for a few minutes and you'll kill all but the most hardy bacteria and yeast. Then cool and add a couple of days into the fermentation. That'll keep most of your honey flavor.

You can heat the honey to 170 degrees - I generally thin it with some water before doing so - hold it there for a few minutes and you'll kill all but the most hardy bacteria and yeast. Then cool and add a couple of days into the fermentation. That'll keep most of your honey flavor.

OK that's what I was going for, the taste!

This is honey from just around the corner..literally! Granted, corners are a little further apart when you live in the sticks but this stuff is incredible!

Back