Honey in the grain bill?

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Ward Chillington, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Ward Chillington

Ward Chillington Well-Known Member

Silly question but....if you use some given pounds of honey in a recipe, should it be considered in your mash and sparge schedules?? In other words, if I am adding 2 pounds of honey into the recipe and I have 10 pounds of malt, am I mashing and sparging for 10 pounds or 12 pounds in my water calculations?

2. Hogarthe

Hogarthe Well-Known Member

I've always added the honey in the kettle, not the mash. So the mash and sparge water stayed the same as if I were not using honey.

3. Craigerrr

Craigerrr Well-Known Member

A recent brew I did had 1# of honey, which I added at 10 minutes left in the boil. I just compared the quick water requirements with and without the honey. The calculator takes the volume of the honey into account. When I took the honey out of the grain bill the water volume increased slightly.

4. J A

J A Well-Known Member

Mash is just malt, not kettle adjuncts. I can't think of any reason you'd add honey to the mash tun.
    Ingredients will be identified as mashed or not mashed in their ingredient profile and also if you check "late addition" in the ingredient box of the editor before using the "Brew" function to make a brew session, the mash calculator in the brew session will reflect only the grain in the grist for mash and sparge water volumes and ignore the honey.

5. Ward Chillington

Yeah...got that and don't make that mess! No....no honey in the tun....BUT I think you answered it below,

But remember....if you "Ignore the honey", she might not get you that new 16 gallon stainless steel Kettle you wanted ! :D:D:D

Thanks folks...I'll be here all week....or should I say "Bee"??

Beer_Pirate and J A like this.
  6. J A

J A Well-Known Member

^^^Yeah...that. :) ^^^
    Personally, if I use honey I put it in the fermenter after krausen starts to drop. If it's a new jar, I'll dump it right in. If it's bulk or in a jar that's been around a while, I'll make some accomodation for sanitizing/sterizing.

7. Mark Farrall

Mark Farrall Well-Known Member

I think we need a groan button instead of the like one.

Craigerrr, J A and jmcnamara like this.
  8. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Agreed. And I agree with JA as well: If you put honey in the boil, you may as well just add table sugar. That said, you likely want to sanitize the honey, which means either doing it with chemicals - metabisulfite - or heat. You can heat the honey to 170 degrees - I generally thin it with some water before doing so - hold it there for a few minutes and you'll kill all but the most hardy bacteria and yeast. Then cool and add a couple of days into the fermentation. That'll keep most of your honey flavor.

9. Ward Chillington

OK that's what I was going for, the taste!

This is honey from just around the corner..literally! Granted, corners are a little further apart when you live in the sticks but this stuff is incredible!