Deschutes Fresh Haze

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a recipe for this? The web site provides info so I entered into BS to get the below but the color/IBU's (53 vs 45) are off.

10 lb 2 Row (70.2%)
1.25 lb Munich 20L (8.8%)
1 lb Flaked barley (7%)
1 lb C20 (7%)
1 lb White Wheat (7%)
The web site also calls for unmalted wheat. Never used it before and wasn't sure how much. I may go with 5% just to see how it works.
BS shows the color as 7.8 but the color on the web site appears more copper.
HOPS:
1 oz NB @ 60
.30 each @ 15 of Simcoe, Amarillo, Mandarina Bavaria
1 oz each WP Simcoe, Amarillo, Mandarina Bavaria
1-2 oz each DH Simcoe, Amarillo, Mandarina Bavaria

Anyone have a recipe for this? The web site provides info so I entered into BS to get the below but the color/IBU's (53 vs 45) are off.

10 lb 2 Row (70.2%)
1.25 lb Munich 20L (8.8%)
1 lb Flaked barley (7%)
1 lb C20 (7%)
1 lb White Wheat (7%)
The web site also calls for unmalted wheat. Never used it before and wasn't sure how much. I may go with 5% just to see how it works.
BS shows the color as 7.8 but the color on the web site appears more copper.
HOPS:
1 oz NB @ 60
.30 each @ 15 of Simcoe, Amarillo, Mandarina Bavaria
1 oz each WP Simcoe, Amarillo, Mandarina Bavaria
1-2 oz each DH Simcoe, Amarillo, Mandarina Bavaria

That looks good! I'm not sure why the color would be so far off, but that Munich provides a dark-ish orange hue and maybe it doesn't 'translate' into the calculator since it doesn't change the SRM much it appears. The unmalted wheat, like flaked barley, would provide more haze.

I made a beer recently with a similar hops schedule, and I loved it. I wasn't targeting Deschutes, but I wanted to use those hops and it came out great. Pretty sure I used CTZ at 60, but otherwise very similar. I think that recipe is going to come out great, even if not a close clone of Fresh Haze.

That looks good! I'm not sure why the color would be so far off, but that Munich provides a dark-ish orange hue and maybe it doesn't 'translate' into the calculator since it doesn't change the SRM much it appears. The unmalted wheat, like flaked barley, would provide more haze.

I made a beer recently with a similar hops schedule, and I loved it. I wasn't targeting Deschutes, but I wanted to use those hops and it came out great. Pretty sure I used CTZ at 60, but otherwise very similar. I think that recipe is going to come out great, even if not a close clone of Fresh Haze.

Thanks Yooper.
I'll probably roll with what I came up with. May add 5-8% unmalted wheat or may just leave it out.

Drinking this now- it's actually very light in color to my eye in a white room. Maybe an SRM of 7-8, and gold like a 6 SRM beer.
IMG_6957.jpg

I think you've got a pretty good recipe there- I'm not sure about the quantity of flaked barley, as one of the signs of using a lot of flaked barley is a rocky head and this one dissipated very quickly to nothing, but it's definitely hazy.

I had a DFH today at their brew pub today. Seems like your recipe is good for starters given all the info on the web.

That's is pretty similar to the recipe I've settled on for big IPAs:
80% Base malt (mix of pilsner and pale)
10% Wheat malt
4% Oats
4% CaraMunich
2% Acidulated
I'll up the oats and wheat for more haze and body in a NEIPA.

I've used unmalted wheat for a split Belgian wit/NEIPA. It was a big percentage and took forever to convert. Pretty much like any other adjunct, though. I think it benefits from a high percentage of malted wheat because the diastatic power is usually higher than pilsner or 2-row. If I was going to use it again I think I'd just throw in some whole wheat flour and see how that does. Or maybe just some unbleached white flour.

I bought a six pack today, just to see if I can picture if it's close to the recipe you came up with. You know, I'll drink beer to help you out. That's just the kind of friend I am. :)
You're a great friend Yooper!
Cant get Deschutes down in Louisiana yet. I'll put this one on my list.

That's is pretty similar to the recipe I've settled on for big IPAs:
80% Base malt (mix of pilsner and pale)
10% Wheat malt
4% Oats
4% CaraMunich
2% Acidulated
I'll up the oats and wheat for more haze and body in a NEIPA.

I've used unmalted wheat for a split Belgian wit/NEIPA. It was a big percentage and took forever to convert. Pretty much like any other adjunct, though. I think it benefits from a high percentage of malted wheat because the diastatic power is usually higher than pilsner or 2-row. If I was going to use it again I think I'd just throw in some whole wheat flour and see how that does. Or maybe just some unbleached white flour.
I may split the base with 2Row and Pilsner. I may also cut back on the flaked barley and add in some flaked oats.

Reactions: J A

Back