want to brew a nice crisp ale that drinks like a lager.

I use 34/70 at ale temp's all the time and it’s just as clean with no sulfur taste at all, as a matter of fact it’s my house yeast now for clean beers it takes a week or two to clear on its own in a keg but it still tastes great not perfectly clear

Cali lager yeast could be a good option as well.
I used that on a few beers recently. Very interesting stuff. Lager temps really makes the malt pop. Cool ale temps gives a slightly fruity, peppery flavor and really makes the hops snap. Versatile stuff.

I use 34/70 at ale temp's all the time and it’s just as clean with no sulfur taste at all, as a matter of fact it’s my house yeast now for clean beers it takes a week or two to clear on its own in a keg but it still tastes great not perfectly clear
Surfer tastes?

Good point. I used to use 34/70 all the time and heard it does great even close to 70F. A lot of people complain about a lemony taste from this yeast but I’ve never noticed myself.

I used that on a few beers recently. Very interesting stuff. Lager temps really makes the malt pop. Cool ale temps gives a slightly fruity, peppery flavor and really makes the hops snap. Versatile stuff.

I don’t have any experience with it but have wanted to try for a while. What manufacturers have you used?

WLP810, though I suspect that the Wyeast stuff is pretty similar. I wouldn't mind trying the Mangrove Jack dry version If I can catch it in stock at my LHBS.

I've been in and out of the cancer word at the hospital for the last month with a family member I take care of and the signal drops out from time to time, some floors don't even have one and my phone just replaces words right before I send, I try to get it done before the signal drops, I finally found the hospital wireless signal that works for most floors, now I can slow down lol

I've been in and out of the cancer word at the hospital for the last month with a family member I take care of and the signal drops out from time to time, some floors don't even have one and my phone just replaces words right before I send, I try to get it done before the signal drops, I finally found the hospital wireless signal that works for most floors, now I can slow down lol
Just yankin' your chain, bro!

WLP810, though I suspect that the Wyeast stuff is pretty similar. I wouldn't mind trying the Mangrove Jack dry version If I can catch it in stock at my LHBS.
The wyeast is very similar to white labs. Have not tried the mj but always thought someone should make a cali common yeast in dry form. Nice to see someone finally did.

Reactions: J A
so just an update. I found a recipe on another site for a Vienna lager.I became obessed with trying that recipe. I was all set to make that as a lager..had my lager yeast ready to go....even tho I said I didn't want to make a lager.... and at the last minute I changed and used us-05 because...well long story but im trying to brew three times in December because ill be finishing my basement and wont be able to brew down there. so im trying to bang out two ales then Im gonna try a lager. Not sure if I want to brew Ozarks Vienna blonde next as an ale or save it for last and brew it as a lager. decisions decisions.

sorry to hear that. hope all is well

That is good, cancer is the shits.

so antoher update …….my heater shit the bed. temp fell to 53 for a day and a half. used a light in the fridge to get it back to 60. gravity check had it at 1021. that was 7 days into fermentation. hoping the warmer temps got ferm going(not sure if it stopped...still had a krausen). gonna do another gravity check today and start raising temps 3 degrees a day heading towards a diacytil rest about 68.

Reactions: J A
Slow and low isn't going to hurt. Not sure what yeast you ended up with, but be sure you jack it up to 68 or so pretty quickly so it doesn't stall. You may have to rouse it if you used Notty or S-04 - they'll drop like a rock at the first sign of lowering temp.

Back