want to brew a nice crisp ale that drinks like a lager.

Jimsal

Trial Member
Reaction score
title says it all. looking for your thoughts/ suggestions/recipes. ive brewed some cream ales. looking for something different. never brewed a lager. not sure I want to lager a beer for a month.

my plan right now is to find a good lager recipe and use Nottingham yeast at 57 degrees

yes, you will need rice hulls because it’s very sticky, the rice mimics the lager texture and cleanness

Kolsch, except for the part where it requires a bit of lagering. Maybe a nice easy blonde ale?

Reactions: J A
that recipe sounds very interesting. I never used flaked rice. Just throw it in the mash?
You can use Minute rice (generic even) also. But as ozarks stated, use rice hulls. Sticky, sticky!

You might want to look into a "lazy lager" type of beer. Basically, brew a simple Pilsner-style beer with noble hops and ferment with dry lager yeast at low ale temps - 60 degrees works extremely well. It tends to ferment very clean and quickly and usually clears well enough with kettle finings and a week or so of cold-crashing. It helps if you keg because you get to skip getting things all stirred up with the bottle fermentation.
I've used S-23, 34/70 and I'm sure the Mangrove Jacks dry lager yeast will do just fine too. Pitch big and it'll be as clean and malty as you could ask for. ;)

Yep a kolsch sounds like a goer it ticks all the asked boxes light crisp ale that drinks like a lager try k97 fermentis out i fermented at 14c recently and finnished it at 18 ish Centigrade. Mate that Kolsch has lager written all over it!
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/717899/k97-kolsch

Next run through I'm gunna swap out the Munich for vienna see which one me likes more.

The K-97 yeast is great, but it needs to settle clear before it's really lager-like. It'll get done in a couple of weeks and if it's cold-crashed and lagered for a week, it'll be quite nice. I find that after another 2-3 weeks in the keg, it really shines. :)
It does let the malt shine though but there's a definite fruit ester to it. It's nice though, with the fruitiness being in the range of pear-like flavors. I like that one better at lower fermentation temps but plenty of brewers use it at 65 or higher.
I'm in the midst of brewing cooler-weather beers right now but I've got plans run a big batch with that yeast as soon as I get a chance.

Notty fermented that cool should be pretty clean and lager like. Find a good pilsner or Vienna lager recipe and sub the Nottingham in and you should be good.

Notty fermented that cool should be pretty clean and lager like.
I find Notty to be like S-04. It's pretty fruity until it really clears out. I had an Irish Red with S-04 that really held on to the fruitiness for several weeks but it did finally get pretty clean. My experience with Nottingham has been similar.

I will throw another opinion in. How about something very simple like 100% pils malt, noble hops, and a clean ale yeast fermented on the cool side (~60F)? US05, W34/70, WLP029 are all good options. Basically shoot for something pilsneresque

Just brew any recipe with any dry lager yeast. Those all taste like ales to me!

I will throw another opinion in. How about something very simple like 100% pils malt, noble hops, and a clean ale yeast fermented on the cool side (~60F)? US05, W34/70, WLP029 are all good options. Basically shoot for something pilsneresque
I like the idea. you guys have given me some good feedback. thankyou

Kolsch yeast ferments very well at cooler temps, and I frequently use it in place of lager yeast where I can't actually use a lager yeast.

Kolsch yeast ferments very well at cooler temps, and I frequently use it in place of lager yeast where I can't actually use a lager yeast.

Cali lager yeast could be a good option as well.

Back