Cleaning for Diastaticus Infection

Brewer #117310

Trial Member
Reaction score
Howdy:

My last 7 batches have all been either finishing 50% lower than what was scheduled and/or all the bottles have been gushing. I realized that this has all been since I used a French Saison yeast. I consider myself a pretty sanitary brewer, but does anyone have and recommendations on how to clean up this mess? I read bio-film is a difficult beast.

What is the best course to clean my bottles?
Should I fill my fermenters to capacity and soak in 60C(140F+) water? then do a 24 hour PBW soak? Then do an hour StarSan or Iodophor soak?

Discouraged...

What are your post-boil vessels like? Any plastic? Anything with spigots or ball valves or weldless bulkheads? All trouble spots. Bottles can get a little skunged and all it takes is a tiny residue. Glass or stainless will clean up pretty easily with minimal effort.
PBW at 120F+ for at least 20 minutes is usually enough to deal with most stuff. I do a hot soak and then Star San and it seems to be fine. With plastic I don't trust unless it's soaked for at least a few hours. Even then, any little crevice can harbor a little colony. Seals, washers, threads, scratches, seams...all are suspect.

Bleach has gotten a bad rap, but bleach is a very effective sanatizer. You can soak plastic and glass with a equal mixture of household bleach and white vinegar. Bleach is much more effective in a pH of 7. Add a cup of bleach to 5 gallons of hot water, then add 1 cup of white vinegar, this will give the mixture a pH of 7. Soak for an hour.

This mixture should not be used on stainless steel. That can be sanatized with boiling water.

From a previous discussion started by @Trialben... permalink >> "Im INFECTED!"

1 Tablespoon of Clorox (not store brand) and 1 Tablespoon of Vinegar per 1 gallon of water is what's recommended... DO NOT mix the bleach and vinegar together pour them separately into the water as @J A said..

"Charlie Talley from Five Star Chemicals tells us best practices in using household bleach and Star San in sanitizing equipment".

Linky >> March 29, 2007 - Sanitizing with Bleach and Star San (audio only)

Linky >> Basic Brewing Radio 2007 (page)

Last edited:
I remember having a minor freak out when I first saw those recommendations as I went "You want to create Chlorine gas!?".

I'd also make an iodophor solution part of your sanitation process. Star San is not a beat all kill all as some would like to think. Rotating sanitizers is not a bad thing.

There's some interesting discussions out there for sure about some saison yeast strains wrecking havoc on equipment. Not to mention a big name yeast producer that gets accused fairly often of infections.

Last edited:
What are your post-boil vessels like? Any plastic? Anything with spigots or ball valves or weldless bulkheads? All trouble spots. Bottles can get a little skunged and all it takes is a tiny residue. Glass or stainless will clean up pretty easily with minimal effort.
PBW at 120F+ for at least 20 minutes is usually enough to deal with most stuff. I do a hot soak and then Star San and it seems to be fine. With plastic I don't trust unless it's soaked for at least a few hours. Even then, any little crevice can harbor a little colony. Seals, washers, threads, scratches, seams...all are suspect.

I'm using bucket fermenters and Fermonsters. I thought I was being pretty clean, but I didn't know about the tenaciousness of the yeast strain.

I'll take your advice to heart. Thanks for it.
Is this your standard cleaning practice? Are you doing a PBW soak after every brew or just with the Diastaticus yeast? I feel like i may have to re-evaluate my overall cleaning/sanitation process if you have any more advice.

I'm using bucket fermenters and Fermonsters. I thought I was being pretty clean, but I didn't know about the tenaciousness of the yeast strain.

I'll take your advice to heart. Thanks for it.
Is this your standard cleaning practice? Are you doing a PBW soak after every brew or just with the Diastaticus yeast? I feel like i may have to re-evaluate my overall cleaning/sanitation process if you have any more advice.
And there's nothing wrong with using bleach at a concentration of 1 tbsp/gallon. It's one of the most effective sanitizers out there, just rinse it thoroughly.

If you haven't already, take some time and listen to the podcast linked above worth every minute.

I don't trust any fermenting vessel without a long PBW soak whether it's glass, stainless or when I occasionally use plastic. It's hard to keep all the wild yeast and other organisms out of a target-rich environment like a brewing space in a garage. Unless every single surface is dedicated and kept meticulously clean, you can be assured of somebody finding a home in every little dried beer spill or unrinsed bottle or hard to clean crevice. So even if you don't introduce aggressive stains in your brewing, they're out there just waiting for you.
Plastic can be susceptible but it's the spigots and treaded fittings that I really target. I just don't use anything with spigots or ball locks post boil any more and transfer using pressure and racking through the top.
You'll find the right routine. Just be aggressive with your cleaning and it'll work out.

Last edited:
I don't trust any fermenting vessel without a long PBW soak whether it's glass, stainless or when I occasionally use plastic. It's hard to keep all the wild yeast and other organisms out of a target-rich environment like a brewing space in a garage. Unless every single surface is dedicated and kept meticulously clean, you can be assured of somebody finding a home in every little dried beer spill or unrinsed bottle or hard to clean crevice. So even if you don't introduce aggressive stains in your brewing, they're out there just waiting for you.
Plastic can be susceptible but it's the spigots and treaded fittings that I really target. I just don't use anything with spigots or ball locks post fermentation any more and transfer using pressure and racking through the top.
You'll find the right routine. Just be aggressive with your cleaning and it'll work out.

Thanks very much for the info.

The hell is Diastaticus yeast? I give my fermonsters a good scrub with a soft sponge and hot water after every batch, I use ABW (Alkaline Brewery Wash, I don't know how it differs from PBW) occasionally. But really just don't damage the inside of the carboy and you've dealt with most risk. I think starsan the piss out of it when it comes the day to use it. So far no problems in a year of brewing.

The hell is Diastaticus yeast? I give my fermonsters a good scrub with a soft sponge and hot water after every batch, I use ABW (Alkaline Brewery Wash, I don't know how it differs from PBW) occasionally. But really just don't damage the inside of the carboy and you've dealt with most risk. I think starsan the piss out of it when it comes the day to use it. So far no problems in a year of brewing.

It is a Saccharomyces variant.

White Labs has been accused several times of supplying breweries with yeast contaminated with diastaticus. Left Hand filed a lawsuit against them within the last yr or two.

Some saison yeasts are a diastaticus variant. Lallemand Belle Saison being one. They post it being such on their website.
http://www.lallemandbrewing.com/product-details/belle-saison-beer-yeast/

Interesting, I use that for Ciders. I should do some reading up on what exactly that means before I reuse that brew bucket.

Depends how long you keep your beers around for. The classic disaster story for a diastaticus problem is a small number of cells find their way into a keg. Keg spends weeks in the three or so distribution centres then a few weeks in the final venue. In that time the yeast has duplicated a bit, started turning those slightly more complex malt sugars into simpler sugars and reproducing. Kicking off a bigger second wave and repeating the process until, they tap that keg and it pours nothing but foam, or they don't get to tapping that keg and it starts pouring nothing but foam all round the keg room. Lovely stuff for commercial relationships.

Though I've got a batch sitting quietly down stairs in a fermenter and I'm just waiting for that process to kick in to turn it into something (hopefully) interesting... So if you're expecting it it's not a problem, only when you're not expecting it.

Ah interesting. It might explain why the cider I made foamed like a bastard.

Just a quick aside: How do you know it was a diastaticus infection?

Back