First Cherry Beer

BoulterBrewer

Trial Member
Reaction score
My other (better) half has asked me to brew a cherry beer for her for bonfire night. Means I’m going to have to brew tomorrow night, which means I have to order everything in the next 3 hours.

What do you folks think of this?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/709252/rachel-s-cherry-beer

It’s adapted from a few things I found online. It’ll be in primary for 10days(ish) and then in secondary on the cherries for two weeks before being bottle conditioned.

Any feedback is very much appreciated!

Curious, why the rice? At that low of an OG, I don't know why you'd want to cut body and flavor. Also, be cautious with the cherries, they do have a pretty strong flavor but at 1.1 kg you should be fine.

Okay, here's what the rice will do: It will add alcohol, cut body and dilute flavors. If it's what you want, fine, I just questioned its use in a 1.052 beer. If you do want to cut body and add alcohol, you might sub in flaked corn, it at least has some flavor.

I like the idea of rice in this beer. It'll lighten the body and flavor so that the cherries can come through. If it was a Wit or Hefe where the yeast flavor and wheat body was important, I'd agree with Nosy, but with something like this, I think it might do pretty nicely. And I like the choice of K-97 for the yeast. It'll give soft, rounded fruit esters that will definitely enhance the cherry flavor. I'd keep the fermentation lower than 66, though. Ambient temp of 60 will allow the wort to get to 62 or 63 and that'll ensure that it will stay relatively clean. Your temp of 66 will work, though.

Note I wasn't telling you to ditch it, just asking why it was there.

Meh, a few other people raised the same point and I had a decent chat with someone who suggested that keeping the grain bill simple would be best (I'm all for keeping things simple) so i've knocked it back for this batch. Also, seeing as this is the first time i'll be using most of these ingredients, it's probably best to know the impact that each one is having on the beer. As such, I know that if it needs to be drier I can add the rice, or add the Abbey is it needs to be sweeter.

There's always another time :)

Meh, a few other people raised the same point and I had a decent chat with someone who suggested that keeping the grain bill simple would be best (I'm all for keeping things simple) so i've knocked it back for this batch. Also, seeing as this is the first time i'll be using most of these ingredients, it's probably best to know the impact that each one is having on the beer. As such, I know that if it needs to be drier I can add the rice, or add the Abbey is it needs to be sweeter.

There's always another time :)
I like that attitude!

Back