Wedding Pale Ale

MisfitBrewing

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Made a test batch of this recipe a few months ago and came out great. I used US-05 for the yeast on the test batch and only .25oz on first two hop additions. Ive modified the yeast and first hop additions.

Looking for input/feedback on my new recipe below. Ive never used 1318 before but i know ppl love it for NEIPA, but thought i would give it a shot for my Pale Ale.

Just Looking for clean simple enjoyable drink for my wedding in october.

BIAB
15 Gallon Kettle
Batch 5.5 Gal into FV
Boil 7

Original Gravity
Final Gravity
ABV
5.64%
IBU

GB:
11# 2 row
.75# American -White Wheat
.50# Crystal/40L

Hop Schedule

.50 oz Citra @ 15 min Boil
.50 oz El Dorado @15 min Boil

.75oz Citra @ 5 Min Boil
.75oz El Dorado @ 5min Boil

1oz - Citra @ 1 Min Boil
1oz El Dorado @ 1 min Boil

Yeast
WYEAST London Ale III 1318
2 packs

I've never used it either, I'm not big on NEIPAs though.

Any chance you could show a link to the recipe...I find it a lot easier to get the feel for the whole thing when I can see it laid out with percentages and IBUs, etc.

I certainly don't see a problem with any of that. ;)
I think you have to be a little careful with El Dorado because it can really take over and turn the all the complex fruit flavors you're generating into Jolly Rancher candy. I've done beers with El Dorado and used some Simcoe to give some depth and that's a nice combination. My best "juicy" beer so far featured a 1:2:3 ratio of El Dorado, Simcoe and Mosaic thrown in at high krausen. Spectacular! :)
I'd personally like to see a little more attenuation but with the hop schedule, you might be right in line with a little more malt and body.
Brew on! :)

Last edited:
You're not making a starter? I like 1318 but I've only used it for NEIPA. I think it would still be good for a PA. Might be a little hazy which isn't bad.
I agree on the El Dorado. It's a good hop but can be over-powering.
Instead of the 5 min and 1 min, why not move those to a whirlpool addition? No dry hops?

You're not making a starter? I like 1318 but I've only used it for NEIPA. I think it would still be good for a PA. Might be a little hazy which isn't bad.
I agree on the El Dorado. It's a good hop but can be over-powering.
Instead of the 5 min and 1 min, why not move those to a whirlpool addition? No dry hops?

I've never made a starter before but based on the yeast calculator and MFG date on the 1318 i should be okay on available yeast cells.

1.Why not move those to a whirlpool addition? - I was thinking of doing that also. Maybe 170F-180F for 20 -25 min? Citra - 1.75 oz and 1 oz of El Dorado?

2. No dry hops? - I have never dry hopped before but my research tells me that a High Krausen addition is optimal per homebrewers and one more addition once fermentation has ended ( have a SS dry hop canister available to possibly throw in the keg). My concern is how much or little is the dry hop figured out?

I certainly don't see a problem with any of that. ;)
I think you have to be a little careful with El Dorado because it can really take over and turn the all the complex fruit flavors you're generating into Jolly Rancher candy. I've done beers with El Dorado and used some Simcoe to give some depth and that's a nice combination. My best "juicy" beer so far featured a 1:2:3 ratio of El Dorado, Simcoe and Mosaic thrown in at high krausen. Spectacular! :)
I'd personally like to see a little more attenuation but with the hop schedule, you might be right in line with a little more malt and body.
Brew on! :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Would you recommend cutting the El Dorado back to maybe .25 oz on the boil and keeping the amount for the late additions the same? or possibly a whirlpool for the 5 and 1 min addition?

I'd be tempted to throw all the El Dorado in after flame-out and do a little hopstand/whirlpool. Maybe consider replacing the lost IBUs with something smooth and mellow like Amarillo or maybe Simcoe that will "fill in the gaps" in the flavor profile.
It won't be bad the way you have it laid out. The 15 minute boil is pretty okay for those hops. Any sooner than that can risk lending some harshness, in my experience.

I'd be tempted to throw all the El Dorado in after flame-out and do a little hopstand/whirlpool. Maybe consider replacing the lost IBUs with something smooth and mellow like Amarillo or maybe Simcoe that will "fill in the gaps" in the flavor profile.
It won't be bad the way you have it laid out. The 15 minute boil is pretty okay for those hops. Any sooner than that can risk lending some harshness, in my experience.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/689765/i-do-brew-v2

I Did a version 2- i had about 4 oz of Simcoe laying around. bumped up the GB a bit and lowered the El Dorado amounts as well.

Back